What's new

OpenVPN question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alfred E. Neuman

Occasional Visitor
I'm using OpenVPN on my Asus router to remotely access my IP camera system. It's my understanding that I can also use the OpenVPN client program on my laptop to securely login to my home computer (host) and browse the internet safely while I'm on a public wireless network. Is this correct?

Would I simply connect with Open VPN then use the browser on the laptop as usual with no concern about someone sniffing my data on the public network??

"to securely login to my home computer (host) and browse the internet": Taken literally your home computer would have to be powered on and you would be remotely controlling it using something like RDP or VNC. Your laptop would then affectively be just a remote view of what the home computer is doing. Yes, that's possible. In fact it's quite a common approach.

However, a simpler approach is to just use the VPN server option "Client will use VPN to access = Internet and local network". This means that your laptop can connect via your router's VPN server to the internet. No need to leave a PC on at home.

"to securely login to my home computer (host) and browse the internet": Taken literally your home computer would have to be powered on and you would be remotely controlling it using something like RDP or VNC. Your laptop would then affectively be just a remote view of what the home computer is doing. Yes, that's possible. In fact it's quite a common approach.

However, a simpler approach is to just use the VPN server option "Client will use VPN to access = Internet and local network". This means that your laptop can connect via your router's VPN server to the internet. No need to leave a PC on at home.
Sorry, I meant login to my "home network", NOT home computer. That's what I'm doing now.

"Client will use VPN to access = Internet and local network".........are you saying this is a specific option in the router firmware? If so, not sure where it is.

"Client will use VPN to access = Internet and local network".........are you saying this is a specific option in the router firmware? If so, not sure where it is.
Yes. But you didn't say what router or firmware you have so maybe yours is different.

VPN Server - OpenVPN > VPN Details = General

Untitled.png

Yes. But you didn't say what router or firmware you have so maybe yours is different.

VPN Server - OpenVPN > VPN Details = General

View attachment 48596

You are going to have to excuse me as I think my mind has gone on spring break! Yes, I have that option and have it set "internet and local network" option. Router is AC86U with latest firmware.

I've always been adamant about not logging onto important personal websites requiring entering my password, and especially using my credit card. It appears that if I open my OpenVPN client app on my phone I can tunnel into my home network and be secure. Gotta admit I'm still hesitant on this, even though I do trust it while accessing my IP camera system. thanks.

Another question, when accessing a public WIFI, should the OpenVPN program on the client device be opened before logging on to the WIFI, or after logging on? Or does it matter?

It needs an active connection. Otherwise won't be able to connect. Connect to the Wi-Fi, activate your VPN.