What's new

OpenVPN Server and internet connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skeptical.me

Very Senior Member
I have setup up the OpenVPN Server on my RT-AX88U, and enabled the "Client will use VPN to access" "Both" (LAN & Internet).

I have disabled the OpenVPN Profile (ExpressVPN) in the Router.

I have put my ISP's router/modem into "Bridge Mode".

I have installed the .ovpn config file into the OpenVPN app on my iPhone using 4G connection.

When I connect to the OpenVPN server from my iPhone over 4G it connects, however, I get no internet service (I cannot open webpages), and I cannot access the routers web UI, I can access my NAS.

Is this a problem others have had and resolved?

I have setup up the OpenVPN Server on my RT-AX88U, and enabled the "Client will use VPN to access" "Both" (LAN & Internet).

I have disabled the OpenVPN Profile (ExpressVPN) in the Router.

I have put my ISP's router/modem into "Bridge Mode".

I have installed the .ovpn config file into the OpenVPN app on my iPhone using 4G connection.

When I connect to the OpenVPN server from my iPhone over 4G it connects, however, I get no internet service (I cannot open webpages), and I cannot access the routers web UI, I can access my NAS.

Is this a problem others have had and resolved?
I vaguely recall having a similar issue. From https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-server-setup-instructions-for-asuswrt-merlin/

Change Compression from LZ0 to LZ4 as LZ0 is deprecated in OpenVPN 2.4 and will be removed in OpenVPN 2.5. LZ4 generally provides the best performance with the least CPU usage. I have been unable to make the connection work properly when setting Compression to None or Disabled.

I can't recall if it was an iOS or Android device. But the Compress setting above allowed it to work for all OS I have, including the one's I mentioned + Windows 10.

Last edited:
When there is a compression mismatch, you can make a connection but no traffic will flow. So it could explain why you get no internet service, but it doesn't explain why you can access the NAS. Ignoring the gateway would explain why you can go to the NAS, but not why you can't get to the router web service. I don't have an iPhone so I'm not much help.

You might post the rest of your settings.

I vaguely recall having a similar issue. From https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-server-setup-instructions-for-asuswrt-merlin/

I can't recall if it was an iOS or Android device. But the Compress setting above allowed it to work for all OS I have, including the one's I mentioned + Windows 10.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

These are the settings I have now in the .ovpn config file

Code:
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote myddnsxx.ddns.net 1194
float
ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:AES-128-CBC
cipher AES-128-CBC
compress lz4
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
remote-cert-tls server

Unfortunately I still have exactly the same issue :(

I have no idea why, but, when I connect to the Router's OpenVPN Server from another IP and then disconnect from it the router goes offline.

That is, the DSL/Internet light turns to red (on the front of the router).

Then after 5 minutes I have a working connection again, but the IP address has changed.

Strange.

Some random suggestions:

On your network page is the DDNS information correctly displayed? This information needs to be included in your OVPN configuration file which you export unless you have a static public IP.

On your Iphone did you download and install the recommended OpenVPN client App?

Did you export then download the OVPN file generated by the router into the above mentioned app? Using this file it should work with no custom settings.

If you are using VPN clients in addition to your VPN server did you set up policy based routing and explicitly route the router's LAN IP over the WAN?

I have an AC86 with a VPN server and three VPN clients running and I have set up three Iphones and an Ipad to connect with no difficulties just using the default settings. The only issue I have had and it doesn't impact the server is that you get a constant spinning wheel saying the VPN server is trying to connect but actually it is working just fine.

Good luck!

Had a issue awile back when openvpn connect got updated..
I had to add this:
setenv CLIENT_CERT 0
To my .ovpn (if i remember it correct)

.......The only issue I have had and it doesn't impact the server is that you get a constant spinning wheel saying the VPN server is trying to connect but actually it is working just fine.....

I’d forgotten all about that; I’ve just checked mine. It must be at least a week since I reset Server 1, and, as before, Server 2 is fine, but Server 1 has the spinning wheel, and no Export Config file button. Turning off Server 1 and then turning it back on fixes it, albeit temporarily. My Server 1 is UDP and my Server 2 is TCP. Do you have both servers running?

Edit: within an hour or so of resetting Server 1, the wheel was spinning again.

Last edited:
Some random suggestions:

On your network page is the DDNS information correctly displayed? This information needs to be included in your OVPN configuration file which you export unless you have a static public IP.

On your Iphone did you download and install the recommended OpenVPN client App?

Did you export then download the OVPN file generated by the router into the above mentioned app? Using this file it should work with no custom settings.

If you are using VPN clients in addition to your VPN server did you set up policy based routing and explicitly route the router's LAN IP over the WAN?

I have an AC86 with a VPN server and three VPN clients running and I have set up three Iphones and an Ipad to connect with no difficulties just using the default settings. The only issue I have had and it doesn't impact the server is that you get a constant spinning wheel saying the VPN server is trying to connect but actually it is working just fine.

Good luck!

DDNS information is correct.

I only use the official iOS OpenVPN app.

I downloaded the .ovpn config file from the OpenVPN server page and put it in iCloud Drive, then installed it into the official iOS OpenVPN App on my iPhone.

Also, I turned off all OpenVPN profiles.

I haven't experienced the spinning wheel.

I'll try setting up server 2.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your input.

Edit: within an hour or so of resetting Server 1, the wheel was spinning again.

I have been on 15Beta for nine hours and no spinning wheel. Fingers crossed.

@martinr, to stop the 'spinning wheel' for the OpenVPN servers, simply stop them and then start them again. :)

I tried using the second server (I turned off the first before I enabled the second). I still have the same issue.

So, what I've done and what is occurring is the following:

1. I setup the OpenVPN server, I selected LZ4 for compression is "advanced settings" in the UI.

2. I checked the DDNS address is updating correctly at no-ip.com ... it is working.

3. I downloaded the .ovpn config and check the data in it is correct. Everything appears to be correct.

4. I loaded the .ovpn config file into the iOS OpenVPN App and enter my username & password.

5. I enabled the connection

6. My router then goes offline and a red light appears on the front of the router.

7. I turned the OpenVPN Server off

8. I rebooted the ISP Modem/Router

9. I reboot the ASUS router

10. Then, and only then does the ASUS regain a connection to the internet

This is proving difficult. And with the little I understand this appears strange.

Should I post any logs? And if so what should I post specifically?

Thank you for any help. :)

Last edited:
1. Don't. :)

Yes, it does. :)

Set no compression. Not usually needed. Not all clients are capable. ;)

Oh, I see. I thought you meant "don't" bother with trying. I'll try what you've suggested.

This didn't change anything.

Every single time I try to connect from the iPhone over 4G the internet connection on the ASUS RT-AX88U fails, and the red light turns on. I can only regain the connection when I reboot both the ISP and ASUS routers.

Did you re-export the OpenVPN config file after you made the change and then re-import it into your client device?

Did you re-export the OpenVPN config file after you made the change and then re-import it into your client device?

I certainly did.

Maybe post a screenshot of the Advanced options page so we can see your settings directly?