What's new

OpenVPN Server General vs. Advanced settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

atkinsom

I'm coming from an AC68U running John's Fork to a new AX86U Pro running the most current Merlin firmware 388.2_2. The OpenVPN server looks a bit different and so I have a couple of questions to make sure I've got the setup working in the same way.

1. OpenVPN server 1 chose LAN ONLY in general settings and then saved the config. I then went back into the advanced settings and changed the port (8080) and added a custom config line to push out a separate LAN in my home and re-saved.
Is the LAN Only setting retained after going into advanced settings and making changes?
I'm assuming when the client connects it routes traffic based upon whether you request a connection to your home LAN (VPN Connection) or the internet (Coffeeshop Hotspot Connection). I'm trying to have the setting in the image below from my old AC68U mimicked on the new AX86U. Thanks very much for any assistance.

1689777513637.png

Is the LAN Only setting retained after going into advanced settings and making changes?
Yes. Just make sure you don't add custom settings that might conflict with it (such as adding your own gateway redirection rule).

What is the intention of the "21" parameter in your push route? That ought to be a metric or otherwise not present. Is that correct?

What is the intention of the "21" parameter in your push route? That ought to be a metric or otherwise not present. Is that correct?
Honestly not sure why I did that it's been so many years but you're right I'll just remove it as it really has no value at this point. Thanks

Is my statement true if I choose LAN Only setting in the General setup?
I'm assuming when the client connects it routes traffic based upon whether you request a connection to your home LAN (VPN Connection) or the internet (Coffeeshop Hotspot Connection)?

Honestly not sure why I did that it's been so many years but you're right I'll just remove it as it really has no value at this point. Thanks

Is my statement true if I choose LAN Only setting in the General setup?
I'm assuming when the client connects it routes traffic based upon whether you request a connection to your home LAN (VPN Connection) or the internet (Coffeeshop Hotspot Connection)?
Look in the router's System Log when the client connects. You can see the routes that it's pushing to the clients. In your case you should see routes for both of your subnets. For everything else the client should go via it's normal internet connection.

EDIT: You could probably get rid of the gateway address in your push statement as well as it will work that out automatically.