What's new

OpenVPN Server : How do I get VPN Clients onto the same subnet as my internal LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CJDias

Occasional Visitor
My goal is to be able to login to my RT-N66U VPN server from a WAN address and then access file shares behind it on my internal LAN. So far I have been able to achieve this by using PPTP servers and clients but have been unsuccessful with OpenVPN.

So far I have limited the internal DHCP server address range to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.190. I then changed the following settings under VPN details leaving the rest at default values:

Attempt 1 : VPN Subnet / Netmask - 10.0.0.8 / 255.255.255.0 (default values) - Server starts up fine, openvpn client connects but unable to ping/tracert from VPN client to Internal LAN PCs and vice versa

Attempt 2 : VPN Subnet / Netmask - 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0 --> Resulted in an error when turning on the VPN server, "Error Code 0"

Attempt 3 : VPN Subnet / Netmask - 192.168.1.192 / 255.255.255.224 --> VPN server started up fine and the OpenVPN client was able to connect but unable to ping/tracert from VPN client to Internal LAN PCs and vice versa. (VPN Client was assigned IP 192.168.1.198)

Could anyone point me in the right direction to get this working? Many thanks...

My setup

It took me awhile, but I am running with both OpenVPN server clients. One TUN and the other is TAP. I needed this mainly because the iPhone/iOS devices do not support TAP (bridging).

I have attached screenshot printouts of my OpenVPN setups as well as my firewall-start configuration settings.

When doing this via TAP, my mac is on my home LAN and can do anything I can do at home. When TUN, I can ping the devices, but may not be able to do everything. I haven't really tested what I can and cannot do on the network via TUN....but I know I can get to the router configuration.

-mike.

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC66U - OpenVPN Server1 Settings-Mod.pdf
    288.1 KB · Views: 2,345
  • ASUS Wireless Router ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC66U - OpenVPN Server2 Settings-Mod.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 1,577
  • firewall-start-Mod.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 955
PS.....For the Server2 configuration (TAP), I found I needed to specify a specific range of IPs to use for VPN clients. Ideally I would want the LAN DHCP to dish out the IPs, but this would not work for me. I am running v3.0.0.4_374_34_2. I am hoping that this was resolved in the latest version, as it looks like there are a lot of OpenVPN fixes/improvements, but have not gotten around to trying it out.