What's new

OpenVPN server unstable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinh

I recently configured my RT-AC68 as an OpenVPN server so I could connect while waiting at the hospital. I used defaults except the port. After I connected with the OVPN app on my Android device, the connection disconnected after about 5min, the second time after about 20min. Is the OPVN server known to be unstable? Likely a router weakness or a network issue between the server and client?

I connected to my Emby server using my public domain (and Emby did treat the connection as remote). While watching a video, I got a toast saying the OPVN disconnected, but the video just kept playing. Does this mean I was never going thru the VPN tunnel or that Emby just recovered well?

Last edited:
I used the OpenVPN server on a couple of AC68U's to remote admin networks for years with no issue. What Android client are you using? You could also try Instant Guard which should be built into the firmware.

I have quite a few customers using OpenVPN on an RT-AC68U for remote work during the pandemic, it's been rock stable for all of them. Your issue sounds like a connection stability problem, not an OpenVPN inssue.

Good to know. Thanks.

I see no Instant Guard in the GUI and my model is not on the supported list. I use the OpenVPN app.

Make sure compression is disabled in the server. Use that Android app by Ernie Schawbe.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I'm using OpenVPN Connect from OVPN. Thanks for the tip.

It looks like the default compression is Adaptive. Strange, though, what is the difference between "None" and "Disable"?

It looks like the default compression is Adaptive. Strange, though, what is the difference between "None" and "Disable"?
Likely there is no difference but use Disable. The reason to turn compression off is that the clients are newer than the version of OpenVPN in Asus firmware and the compression setting has been removed from the newer versions. Merlin firmware does have the newer OpenVPN server version.

If you have time to reconfigure your AC68U give the Merlin firmware a try. Besides newer program versions it has some features you may like. Otherwise keep the router up to date with Asus firmware.