What's new

openvpn settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

modemrouter

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I have been banging my head and can't seem to understand what the issue might be. I am trying to setup a vpn client so that it connects to a vpn server. Even though the connection is successful, it is quite slow.

Here is some background to show that I have done this before and I am convinced I should have better speed:

I have 3 location with a router at each location, let's call them A, B, C. (routers are AC-3200, AC-87U and AC-66U respectively).
I have been able to connect successfully router B to VPN into router C by making edits I found online to the .ovpn config file I downloaded from router C VPN server which I then uploaded to router B's VPN client. See attached file, I x'd out the ddns info.
The internet speed at C is download/upload 10/1
The internet speed at B is 50/10
When I connect the vpn from B to C, I get 10/10

Now, I wanted to replicate the same thing so that router B can vpn into router A but the config file I used for the other setup isn't working well.
Internet speed at A is 50/5
but when I connect vpn B to A, I get no connection at all
If I upload the config file as was downloaded from A to B (without any edits), I get 3/3 thereabout.

Also note that I have tried to copy almost the settings of router A so that it's same as router C. The only difference between these 2 routers is that A has two 5Hz bands.

Wondering if you have ideas to increase the speed so that it's close enough to what is at A. Thanks!

I edited the top part of the config file which I uploaded into router B (from router C):
edits from router C uploaded to router B, works great:
=======================================

tun-mtu 1500
dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8
mssfix 1300
sndbuf 393216
rcvbuf 393216
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote xxxxxx.asuscomm.com 1198
float
comp-lzo adaptive
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
ns-cert-type server
<ca>

----
when I use the above settings for A to B connection, it doesn't even connect. Note that I did change the ddns info

No edits from router A config file:
========================

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote xxxxx.asuscomm.com 1198
float
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
ns-cert-type server
<ca>
when I use the above unedited info, I get download 3/3 which is very low compared to 50/5 that I was expecting.

IF you have a successful internet connection at EACH location A, B, C you should theoretically be able to VPN into the network of the OTHER locations at your the max speed of the slowest side of the connection.

It seems the 10/10 connection from B to C would be your maximums.

Regarding the difficulty setting up location A...

Have you tried using the General OpenVPN settings AND the configuration script output from the device itself? (Do not use the script from another device.)

Thanks Adam. How did you come up with 10/10 would be my maximum connection?
Without VPN At B I have got 50/10 and 10/1 at C. With VPN, I am able to get 10/10. The low upload of 1 doesn't seem to
At A, I have got 50/5 and B 50/10, so B to C will be maximum of what?

I did try just using the general script output, but the connection was about 3/3 there about, here is what the top part of the general script looks like (I pasted it earlier too):
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote xxxxx.asuscomm.com 1198
float
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
ns-cert-type server
<ca>

I am not using the script for another device per se... I have downloaded the original script from the device and just add this information to the top part so the certificate key are from the original device, so I replaced the top part with the information below. With this slight edit, the connection improved to about 5/5

tun-mtu 1500
dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8
mssfix 1300
sndbuf 393216
rcvbuf 393216
client
dev tun
proto udp
remote xxxxxx.asuscomm.com 1198
float
comp-lzo adaptive
keepalive 15 60
auth-user-pass
ns-cert-type server

Thanks!
IF you have a successful internet connection at EACH location A, B, C you should theoretically be able to VPN into the network of the OTHER locations at your the max speed of the slowest side of the connection.

It seems the 10/10 connection from B to C would be your maximums.

Regarding the difficulty setting up location A...

Have you tried using the General OpenVPN settings AND the configuration script output from the device itself? (Do not use the script from another device.)

Last edited:
How did you come up with 10/10 would be my maximum connection?

Without VPN At B I have got 50/10 and 10/1 at C.

You stated:
B can download 50 and upload 10.
C can download 10 and upload 1.

Therefore:
Connecting from B to C you can upload 10 from B and C can download 10 - so that's your max from B to C.
C can only upload at 1 to B, so that would slow down the return signals.

Also - if you're having trouble with something - keep it simple.

1) Use the script the device outputs to test and verify it works.
2) Once you verify it works - then you can cut and paste and alter scripts as you like to optimize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I connect B to C via VPN, I get download/upload of 10/10.

But connection to B to A is not giving me anything close to the stats of the individual networks though. If your theory works that I can upload 10 from B (because B has 50/10) and download 10 from A (because it has 50/5), then I should be able to get at least 10/10.

Yes, I am keeping it simple. As I mentioned, without editing the script, I am getting 3/3 when I connect B to A. When I edit it with some info I got online, I get around 5/5. This is why I am asking on this forum if anyone knows of additional edits I can make to the script to get better vpn output when I connect B to A to get to at least 10/10.

Any ideas anyone?

You stated:
B can download 50 and upload 10.
C can download 10 and upload 1.

Therefore:
Connecting from B to C you can upload 10 from B and C can download 10 - so that's your max from B to C.
C can only upload at 1 to B, so that would slow down the return signals.

Also - if you're having trouble with something - keep it simple.

1) Use the script the device outputs to test and verify it works.
2) Once you verify it works - then you can cut and paste and alter scripts as you like to optimize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: