What's new

OpenVPN speeds on Asus GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psychopomp1

Hi,

To those of you using the GT-AX11000 as an OpenVPN client what sort of speeds are you getting?

ISP Speed?
OpenVPN speed?
VPN provider used? (eg PIA, Express VPN etc)

Thanks!

I would also really like to know the answer to this, I am undecided between the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 and a dedicated open vpn machine.

Hi,

To those of you using the GT-AX11000 as an OpenVPN client what sort of speeds are you getting?

ISP Speed?
OpenVPN speed?
VPN provider used? (eg PIA, Express VPN etc)

Thanks!
ISP : NodeOne (250 / 50 - peaks at 310/75)
OpenVPN speed : 130-220
VPN provider : NordVPN (130-220), ExpressVPN (180-190), Surfshark (130-170)

Note : NordVPN speeds are variable. The range is huge. I’ve had speeds as low as 130 and as high as 220. Provided I’ve had speeds up to 220, my only guess is that the VPN provider is throttling OpenVPN connections since they can blanket an entire house, which in my case can have up to 25 active devices.

ExpressVPN is the most consistent, which is probably why it attracts a premium price.

As far as clients for Windows and iOS are concerned, all three of the aforementioned VPN providers performed well - achieving maximum ISP speeds.

As a consequence, I decided to go with Surfshark and installed clients on multiple iOS and Windows devices, since they allow unlimited installations. This way, I was able to maintain maximum speeds to utilise the full bandwidth available through my internet service provider.

I do not believe it is viable to lose 50-100mb/sec using the OpenVPN client for an internet connection which attracts a premium price in my country. At least, not until the VPN providers do something about stability and consistency with their OpenVPN protocols, as I do not believe that my hardware and my ISP are the limiting factor.

I, for one - am happy to vouch for NodeOne as being an amazing internet service provider.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!