1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

OpenVPN & Stock Firmware

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by nash16, Jun 18, 2018.

1. nash16

nash16 Occasional Visitor

Hi everyone,

I'm trying continue with my RT-AC66U, I love the Merlin FW and I know that the best option is choose the Fork from John right now for legacy routers, but really I chose it because I need only 1 thing: OpenVPN updates.

Maybe someone could help me with minimal steps to update the binaries from OpenVPN with the Stock Firmware 3.0.0.4.382.50470 from Asus getting the updated binaries from Merlin source (380.70) or something like that, I need the OpenVPN 2.4.0 or above and if it isn't too hard would be brilliant copy the webpage in the router for OpenVPN config instead of Stock.

How could I build the new OpenVPN version from src and install it into the router?

Thanks in advance and please admin move this topic if I choose the wrong discuss forum.
    BR

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. eddiez

eddiez Senior Member

Don't mind me asking...but what's wrong with the latest Merlin releases?

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

You can't. 2.4.x introduces a number of changes that require support to be implemented in the rest of the firmware as well, it's not a drop-in replacement for 2.3.2.

nash16 likes this.
  5. nash16

Mainly, security bugfixes from 3.0.0.4.382.50470 vs. Merlin's 380.70 :(

6. nash16

Thank you Eric, I thought that this shouldn't be easy, so not much info about the upgrade process.

Regards :)

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!