What's new

OpenVPN TAP connection between two ASUS routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Radek1982

New Around Here
Hi All,

Hopefully I can get some suggestion how to solve some issues I'm experiencing while trying to establish OpenVPN connection in TAP mode between two locations.
In location A (Ireland) I've Asus RT-AC56U router running Merlin firmware 380.65_2.
In location B (Poland) I've Asus RT-AC51U router running stock firmware 3.0.0.4.380_3625-geb2b179.

Location A is running OpenVPN server (see my configuration below):
server confiq.PNG

Location B is running OpenVPN client (see confirmation that this connection is successful):
client connection.PNG

Location A has LAN IP: 192.168.0.1 & DHCP pool 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99
Location B has LAN IP: 192.168.1.1 & DHCP pool 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

My understanding of TAP mode was that when successfully connected than any device connected to any of two routers will be on one virtual LAN. Unfortunately first of all when checking IP on device connected through router running client OpenVPN on location B, I'm still getting Polish IP (not Irish as expected).
Secondly I can't reach out to any devices connected via router on the other end of my VPN connection.

I would really appreciate if any of you could give me some suggestions what should I change in my configuration to make it work.