What's new

OpenVPN: Username / passwords get scrambled on applying advanced settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martin Fishkov

Regular Contributor
Hiya,
Still plenty happy with what Merlin can do for me, however:
A minor annoyance while tweaking my two Open VPN servers:
Everytime I apply advanced settings, my listed username / passwords get scambled- seems like a string termination problem somewhere? See screenshot below: The username on the second row and the password on the third belong together. Users on third and fourth rows get inserted?

Workaround is not that hard- but it gets tedious to enter the user / passwd everytime I change something :)

Thanks in advance for any hints!
upload_2016-7-17_12-55-2.png

It would help knowing which router model and FW version you refeer to.

Never seen this issue happening at all.

Have you tried a reset after flashing / clean config?

Avoid using unusual characters in your passwords (i.e. avoid %$' characters). Some of these might mess up with the webui code.

Hi, thanks for the responses!

First: It is firmware version 380.59_0
running on an RT-AC68U

Cleanly installed on a brand new system..

Only alpha numerals in the password.
Oh- and if I try to connect (assuming it's a GUI issue) I get an auth failed, so it seems the problem is not gui only.

Try resetting your current user list, as it might have gotten corrupted at some point:

Code:
nvram unset vpn_serverx_clientlist
nvram commit

username /dfn is not a very good idea...

sort out the account, and like RMerlin suggests - keep things simple...

Thanks- will do as soon as I get home.
(@sfx2000: To be clear- the dfn and /dfn usernames were not added by me but appeared after I saved the advanced settings...)
Oddly, I can now log in but over vpn the GUI seems incomplete (see below) As soon as I go into any detail page, the main navigator (left bar) disappears... Could this be related?
[EDIT] That's a Chrome issue- on IE 11 it look fine o_O Will test the username thing on IE and report back [/EDIT]
[EDIT2] Problem does not occur on IE11. Seems Chrome does something with the usertable that IE doesn't?[/EDIT2]

upload_2016-7-18_9-9-14.png

Last edited: