What's new

OpenVPN very slow speeds on brand new AC86u Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eisentourage

New Around Here
Hi all,

Long time reader, newly registered and first created thread. I searched for an answer to my problems, but have not had success. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get, here's my issue all with ethernet connection:

I have a brand new Asus AC86U with latest Merlin firmware. With VPN off, I see download speeds of 375-425Mbps. With NordVPN windows app turned on to a USA location close to home, I see roughly 95Mbps download speeds. With the client set up within the router settings, I drop to 15-20 Mbps download (have tried many servers). I've tinkered a lot and have read all about the Client settings, but am having no success. I saw a post by Merlin that claimed the 86U can do 200 Mpbs OpenVPN, which is why I purchased it. Is there someting specific I should have in the Custom Config window? Even with 128 level encryption I saw 35-40 Mbps. My CPU speeds of router do not pass 13% on a speedtest, which I thought was low. I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give. I'm new to router tinkering and VPN. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.