What's new

OpenVPN Warning: tun-mtu and link-mtu used inconsistently AC86U/Merlin FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebuk

Hello.

I receive the following warnings in the router system log that I am having trouble fixing. Although I do have a connection that seems to work well, these warnings make for concerns.

WARNING: 'link-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='link-mtu 1586', remote='link-mtu 1570'
WARNING: 'tun-mtu' is used inconsistently, local='tun-mtu 1532', remote='tun-mtu 1500'
WARNING: 'cipher' is used inconsistently, local='cipher BF-CBC', remote='cipher AES-256-CBC'
WARNING: 'keysize' is used inconsistently, local='keysize 128', remote='keysize 256'

I use Torguard VPN (CBC256/SHA512) on AC86U, Merlin 382.1_2 FW.

The VPN support comments: "seems to be router firmware level issues with main network interfaces resets and command exits".

Any idea I can resolve these error messages?

Thanks in advance.

This is just a side-effect of enabling NCP negotiation (new with OpenVPN 2.4) when the other end doesn't support it. Either disable NCP, or simply ignore those warnings.