What's new

OpenVPN - webui access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Torson

I have a number of routers running the Merlin firmware (384.7 lately.)
There is 1 OpenVPN server enabled on each of those. Local networks are running at 192.168.1.0. When I start an OpenVPN client on any of the local networks (Windows 10) it takes me to the local router at 192.168.1.1.

If I do the same thing on an Android phone wirelessly connected to the same local network , it briefly flashes an URL like 192.168.1.1/Status_OpenVPN.asp and then switches to whatever the remote router is at 192.168.1.1/Main_Login.asp and I can login to that remote router. Is there any way to convince the Win10 systems to allow access to the remote routers' web interface over OpenVPN in the same manner?

There are many threads on the same topic, but there doesn't seem to be a unique recipe to make that work. More puzzling even is the fact that I clearly remember being able to do that (as in accessing through an OpenVPN client a remote router/server with the same private IP as the LAN I'm on.)

Any suggestions please?

PS - I just upgraded a remote router to Merlin v. 384.7 over OpenVPN from an Android device. It gracefully came back on after ~3' prompting for the login credentials as if nothing happened... go figure!

Last edited:
PS - I just upgraded a remote router to Merlin v. 384.7 over OpenVPN from an Android device. It gracefully came back on after ~3' prompting for the login credentials as if nothing happened... go figure!

Interesting. Isn't a hard reboot required after updating?

...if by "hard reboot" you mean unplugging the router from the power source and re-plugging it after a number of seconds, I didn't do it since I'm quite far away from it.
I only do that when I want to clean the nvram settings and start anew (not by restoring a saved config file, but rather using the nvram restore of a saved configuration - BTW great utility and thanks for that.)
I also admit that the best practice between FW updates is to do that, but I only do it if I see signs of misbehavior on the router's part...

You don't necessarily need to reboot but it is a good practice to do.

As I replied to your last post https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...lan-over-remote-vpn-client.49357/#post-438184

You need to change your subnets to different ones. So your LAN you're on is different than the default.

You also should change your openvpn server subnets differently at each location as well.

You will be able to access the gui without issue then using the 192.168.x.1 of the subnet you changed it to.

Alright - I'll restart (restate) the topic - First, on all the remote routers and modems I use a 2 socket remote access device (I almost forgot about that because they were installed before the provider's web app that allows rebooting the modem over the net - so, yes, I can do a hard reset .)
Second, while I totally understand and kind of agree with your point on having different private subnets at all of the remote locations ... here is the pickle:
- in the very simple scenario of where I seat; one laptop connected to the 5 GHz wireless radio of the local router; one android device connected to the same radio frequency of the same router

- (BTW I just started an OpenVPN session now on the android phone -logged on to the remote router, on the webui I clicked 'Reboot' - the session disconnected and then I relogged-in and the remote router's webui (I know them by name) came back up prompting for the login credentials - Merlin's 384.7 unmistakably :).)

Both devices have reserved IP addresses on the local router's DHCP. The Windows 10 laptop - while connected through OpenVPN to the same remote router - and, yes the laptop and phone have different 10.*.0.* IP addresses provided by the remote router) one shows the remote webui (android) and one shows the local one (Windows 10.) Hence my question...

Last edited: