What's new

OpenVPN with ASUS Blue Cave AC2600 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dkalbach

Occasional Visitor
I am currently overseas (Asia - Philippines) and was looking to use an Apple TV. Geo-blocking caused me to look for a router and VPN solution. I decided on the ASUS since it was highly recommended by NORD VPN. However I went with their latest Blue Cave. Features all seem pretty good and comparible to the 87 and 88Us however the signal strength isn't quite as strong. But it did have Amazon Echo and IFTTT support built in which was the final determining factor.

My issue is the OpenVPN - Since I'm trying to use a VPN from the US (8000 miles away) I see a huge loss in speed. My Modem is Uploading and Downloading at 25Mbps, while the ASUS Blue Cave via VPN is only yielding 3-5Mbps. Thats a pretty substantial loss considering my goal was to stream video.

Any ideas on where I could improve?

Also - I have the Blue Cave direct (via LAN) to the Apple TV. Can I use OpenVPN to the LAN connection ONLY leaving the router to broadcast (Non VPN) at higher speeds for use in the home??

-- Dave

Any ideas on where I could improve?

Not much you can do, the BlueCave has a very weak CPU, poorly suited for something as demanding as OpenVPN.

Not much you can do, the BlueCave has a very weak CPU, poorly suited for something as demanding as OpenVPN.

Thanks, I wish I had known that before I purchased it. I was enroute to buy an 86U when I bought this.

However I was doing some reading last night. I really only want the VPN to allow an Apple TV to play while overseas. It looks as if I ca accomplish this through a SmartDNS instead of VPN. If I'm understanding the process correctly a Smart DNS just hides (masks) my actualy DNS with one of my choosing in the US, instead of actually sending my packets to the US and back.

From what I've read this should result in no speed loss.

Does this sound like a solution? If so are there any recommendations for a SmartDNS provider? Lastly can I use the SmartDNS on the LAN Output and leave the WAN alone? All of the SmarDNS setups I came across showed changing the WAN setting not the LAN (DNS and WINS)

-- Dave

Does this sound like a solution?

Depends on the services you are trying to access with the AppleTV. Some might rely on localized DNS answers, while others might look at the IP address used to connect to them.

Depends on the services you are trying to access with the AppleTV. Some might rely on localized DNS answers, while others might look at the IP address used to connect to them.

Thanks for the help - I setup a DNS through SmartDNSProxy today - everything is working perfectly - no loss of speed.

-- Dave