What's new

OpenVPN with Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kap55

Occasional Visitor
I am using an Asus RT86U with Merlin 382.1_2. VPN Client 1 is set up with PIA and operates normally. I have tried many times to setup VPN Client 3 with a Nord VPN file, but I am unable. All 5 VPN Clients are identical - they are all set up with the PIA information. I have never entered anything in any Client other than 1 - Clients 2, 3, 4 & 5 just automatically self installed the info contained in 1. I have also tried changing Client 3 to another PIA location but am unable. Is this a problem with the firmware or is it user error? Thanks.

This behaviour is continuing - I have tried pretty much everything I can think of. Right now VPN clients 2-5 cannot load any info manually or using an opvn file from PIA or Nord. The info displayed in VPN clients 2-5 is info repeated from VPN client 1. There doesn't seen to be any way to clear the info in a Client. Anybody else experiencing this?

Kap, Do the PIA config files all use the same ports? I've never heard of a blank or un-configured OpenVPN client on an Asus router to auto-populate the next unused OpenVPN client with a previous client's information. PIA works well for some folks, but didn't for us. They're in the process supposedly, of re-writing their software with signatures, but I never got as far as being comfortable enough with their code to attempt to try it on our router. The PIA windows client was not well behaved, and I didn't have time to spend with unsigned software. Some justify having unsigned software as being too expensive, but crying poverty when PIA has so many users isn't convincing to me. To each his/her own.

In your case, it's tough to make a call on user error since there's no background on how complex your LAN or router setup is, if it's due to user error, or a problem with the configs. As you're discovering, this is a very involved subject and takes a lot of time and patience to learn the ropes. Only one seemingly insignificant mistake can bork your config or make the router unusable. V382 is a whole new level of code and complexity and will be a while before it all shakes down, and PIA doesn't usually keep up with Merlin as much as some providers. Nord usually has good setup guides and though it takes a day for them to get back to you, they seem helpful enough.

It might be a bit inconvenient for you, but better to eliminate the chance of this being user or PIA error now, since it's not going well. If it were my situation, I'd download the Nord configs and setup guides you need and make sure you take a screen grab of the important pages/settings on their site if you need to refer to them. Then use the default button at the bottom of each OpenVPN client window (may vary with 382), and zero out each OpenVPN config, saving/applying each time. Then reboot the router, log back in and see if those configs are actually gone. If they are, then you can upload and save one Nord config saving each change as you go, then if that goes well, try one PIA, if you need it. If Nord doesn't give you any trouble, maybe those are the configs you want to keep.

I'd suggest not configuring all of the tunnels at once, instead, either log out or reboot after each config is entered. The logic being, if the config is still there and works each time, you'll probably be getting more experience and be able to identify where you might be going wrong; if you're going wrong. If all of the Nord configs work out and operate as you need them to, then try a single PIA config, apple it, log out, back in, then see if everything is in place. If so, try each config out, before proceeding.

We normally run two configs at any one time but can easily get by with one. It's easy enough to log in when you need to turn on the tunnel and takes up less resources in the router if you don't need the tunnel. If you have a port conflict whether it's with PIA or Nord config, it will probably give you a headache and/or not work, or work poorly as it is presently. You may have better luck while you're testing if you don't have the configs turn on automatically, instead, turn on one, see how that goes, then if you need the second, turn it on afterwards. All things in moderation until it's all working well. Hope this helps, Cheers.

Last edited:
This behaviour is continuing - I have tried pretty much everything I can think of. Right now VPN clients 2-5 cannot load any info manually or using an opvn file from PIA or Nord. The info displayed in VPN clients 2-5 is info repeated from VPN client 1. There doesn't seen to be any way to clear the info in a Client. Anybody else experiencing this?
Have you tried reset to factory defaults and configure manually after that?

Using a password manager or form filler? It may be auto filling the fields. I ran into the issue with LastPass in Chrome.

Using a password manager or form filler? It may be auto filling the fields. I ran into the issue with LastPass in Chrome.

We have a winner. I use LastPass and didn't realize it was autofilling all 5 clients. Thanks very much for the tip.

As far as suggestion to use Nord - I have an account with them but have had problems. After spending literally hours and hours trying various servers I have never been able to get more than 20 Mbps down using the RT86U. Their support insists that my only solution is to continue trying servers until I find something faster - they will not point me to a specific server. They also insist that speeds higher than I am currently getting are not possible on a router. My ISP is 150 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up, which is what I get using PIA. If Nord could provide me with specific instructions on how to improve speed I would go back to them - I signed for 2 years. Bottom line is they are not interested in helping once they have your money.

Now that the problem has been solved I tried Nord again - I see their web page now suggests a server which is a nice improvement. Am now getting 50 down and 15 up. My ISP account is for 150/15 so that is a fair drop on the download side, but it is probably something I can live with. I will try that for a while and then decide who to stick with - Nord or PIA.

I wish I could get a dollar for every post complaining about slow VPN speeds. :D

Who would’ve thought about Lasspass being the issue? Thanks for sharing @Jack Yaz