What's new

Openvpn with RT-N56UB1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

plex

Occasional Visitor
Hello

Case:
I need to access a remote vmware esxi server.

I've bought the cheapest Asus router with gbit lan for the job - the RT-N56UB1. I'm a little familiar with openvpn, since I've tried it out, on my home RT-AC68U with Merlin. Did work perfectly first try, using this setup:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-setup-a-vpn-server-with-asus-routers.33638/

But server can't start:
OpenVPN server daemon failed to start.
Please check your device environment or contents on the Advanced Setting page.

From system log:
Jan 24 19:16:55 rc_service: httpd 4104:notify_rc restart_vpnd;restart_chpass
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: OpenVPN 2.3.2 mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [eurephia] [MH] [IPv6] built on Jul 13 2015
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: PLUGIN_INIT: POST /usr/lib/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so '[/usr/lib/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so] [openvpn]' intercepted=PLUGIN_AUTH_USER_PASS_VERIFY
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: Diffie-Hellman initialized with 2048 bit key
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: Socket Buffers: R=[116736->131072] S=[116736->131072]
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: TUN/TAP device tun21 opened
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: TUN/TAP TX queue length set to 100
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: do_ifconfig, tt->ipv6=0, tt->did_ifconfig_ipv6_setup=0
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: /usr/sbin/ifconfig tun21 10.8.0.1 pointopoint 10.8.0.2 mtu 1500
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: Linux ifconfig failed: could not execute external program
Jan 24 19:16:58 openvpn[5411]: Exiting due to fatal error

Content modification of Keys & Certification - was empty. So I've copy pasted from my AC-68U.

Any help would be very appreciated :eek:)

And yes - I admit that I don't have many skills here :D

Did you want RT-N56B1 as client or server to access a remote vmware esxi server?
others,if you OpenVPN server advance page the Authorization choose TLS, then doesn't need the Keys & Certification.

Did you want RT-N56B1 as client or server to access a remote vmware esxi server?
others,if you OpenVPN server advance page the Authorization choose TLS, then doesn't need the Keys & Certification.

The rt-n56u should act server, and clients connects with mac or iOS devices.

First I've tried without TLS keys, and doesn't work neither

Nothing else than a new router seems to work... The RT-N66U and RT-AC68U works perfect, so I guess the N56 was a bad choice. RT-AC68U ordered for the job :)

What about security? I don't want my server visible with a public IP address

Yep - since you have ESXi, set up a small ubuntu server or centos image on the vmware box, and then port forward the guest out - or put it in the DMZ.

Digital Ocean has some nice writeups on how to do this.

Yep - since you have ESXi, set up a small ubuntu server or centos image on the vmware box, and then port forward the guest out - or put it in the DMZ.

Digital Ocean has some nice writeups on how to do this.

Thanks for the tip [emoji846]

But since I've got OpenVPN working with a new router - isn't the problem solved? I only need to access the server during maintenance, elsewhere the server is hosting a administrative system, with http access on port 80.

I'm pretty novice here [emoji17]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Protocol: TCP (if you care at all about the traffic.. since it is an ESXi host)
Auth Mode: TLS
Make sure the following keys are in there, and copied correctly. (spaces, etc will mess it up)
* Static Key
* CA
* Server Certificate
* Server Key
* Diffie Hellman Parms

Suggestions:
Username/Password auth = Yes
Username/Password Auth Only = No
Auth Digest = SHA256 (or whatever you made your certs to be)
Push LAN to clients = Yes (for what your trying to do...)

Hope some of this helps