What's new

OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Travison

Occasional Visitor
Hey,

I'm having some issues with OpenVPN after I updated to 384.5 on my RT-AC68U, from version 384.4_2.

After the update my VPN client (on my phone) connected successfully to the router but could not connect to the internet, but it was working before the update. I think the problem lies in "Client will use VPN to access [ ] LAN only [x] Internet only [ ] Both" because I had it set to Internet only. Once I changed it to Both, everything seemed to work fine. I don't however wish to give access to my LAN so I hope this is a temporary bug.

I'm guessing it's because I advertise my local LAN DNS (the router) to the vpn clients so firewall/route rules are preventing access?

I don't however wish to give access to my LAN so I hope this is a temporary bug.

I'm guessing it's because I advertise my local LAN DNS (the router) to the vpn clients so firewall/route rules are preventing access?

No, the previous behaviour is the bug.

But you’re right about why it’s not working. Going forward you’ll have to either advertise a different DNS server or give VPN access to LAN.

No, the previous behaviour is the bug.

But you’re right about why it’s not working. Going forward you’ll have to either advertise a different DNS server or give VPN access to LAN.

There is just an option for "Advertise DNS to clients", that seems to advertise the DHCP dns. If I select 'No' what DNS will be used on the client? Will it be the WAN DNS on the router?

Isn't it possible to have a firewall script allowing only access to the DNS on the lan? Something like (where vpn network is 10.x.x.x and localnetwork 192.168.x.x):

iptables -A INPUT -s 10.x.x.x -d 192.168.x.x --dport 53 -j ALLOW

There is just an option for "Advertise DNS to clients", that seems to advertise the DHCP dns. If I select 'No' what DNS will be used on the client? Will it be the WAN DNS on the router?

Isn't it possible to have a firewall script allowing only access to the DNS on the lan? Something like (where vpn network is 10.x.x.x and localnetwork 192.168.x.x):

iptables -A INPUT -s 10.x.x.x -d 192.168.x.x --dport 53 -j ALLOW

You can do that in the .opvn configuration file, search for ‘dhcp-option’

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html

And yes it is possible change the behaviour by adding iptable rules.