What's new

Opinion on Trendnet TPE-1020WS and Trendnet in general

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikleb

Regular Contributor
I am looking for a 8+ port POE switch with integrated PSU.
I am using 8 ports now and having one or two extra woudl be a benefit. Of course I could go 16 port but then I will likely have a fan that I like to avoid.

How reliable Trendnet? Also software?

Overall, I'd put TrendNet a hair under TP-Link in the SMB-class of products, with Netgear and Zyxel slightly above TP-Link. Beyond those, I tend to stick brands with more enterprise switching pedigree. Cisco, HPE, etc.

Instead of the TPE-1020WS, I'd go with a Zyxel GS1920-8HPv2 for $179. More compact and almost double the PoE budget (130W), plus a better "lifetime" warranty than TrendNet's "lifetime" warranty (actual product lifetime vs really only 3 years).

If you know what you're doing, I'd also consider entry-level Cisco Catalyst 2960L, which has 8, 16 or 24 ports of PoE, all fanless with passive heat sinks and internal power supplies. Solid built quality. Plus you're running on real IOS, but also have a full web GUI. Also, 2960L doesn't require SmartNet contracts just to get firmware updates, which is nice. You can buy gray-market or off eBay and get some good deals. The WS-C2960-8PS-LL and -16PS-LL can routinely be had for under $300.

EDIT: Specs correction re- TPE-1020WS.

Last edited:
Does the TPE-1020WS actually have 10 ports? (just 8 poe but 10 gigabit?)
I do actually have a Zyxel USG device. Seems to work well. However, UI could use some work...

Yeah, UI is definitely not Zyxel's forte, that's for sure. At least not on their older stuff. Some of the newer UI's like their cloud-based Nebula stuff are better.

On the TPE-1020WS, my mistake. Only 8 access ports (with PoE); 2 dual-personality uplink ports (2 RJ45, 2 SFP) just like the Zyxel. All interfaces are gigabit.

Great. I don't know what comparable products woudl be on the Cisco or HPE lineup. On Cisco maybe 350 series? Frankly, managed or smart managed is probably overkill for my use. ports, POE and integrated PSU are most important.

Just because you buy a managed switch doesn't mean you can't just run it effectively unmanaged. Most come with just the default VLAN untagged on all ports -- essentially an unmanaged switch. That said, it's nice to have the extra features available, should you ever want to segment your network (for example: private, IoT and guest), prioritize certain kinds of traffic like voice/video (QoS), etc. It's also just general best-practice to have management capability on a switch, especially one pushing PoE to multiple endpoints. But I understand if you want to K.I.S.S.

I would have suggested Cisco SG but their 10-port PoE models only have external power supplies. Same goes for HPE OfficeConnect and ArubaOS switches (1850, 1920S, 2530, etc.). You need to step up to the 24-port models from both makers in order to get internal power supplies. The only Cisco switches with internal PSU's and PoE would be the entry-level Catalyst 2690L series, which I mentioned above.

I got the GS1920-8HPv2. So far so good. Found it interesting that I am using 20W more as compared to a Netgear GS108TV2 with POE injecors (all clients the same).

If you know what you're doing, I'd also consider entry-level Cisco Catalyst 2960L, which has 8, 16 or 24 ports of PoE, all fanless with passive heat sinks and internal power supplies. Solid built quality. Plus you're running on real IOS, but also have a full web GUI. Also, 2960L doesn't require SmartNet contracts just to get firmware updates, which is nice. You can buy gray-market or off eBay and get some good deals. The WS-C2960-8PS-LL and -16PS-LL can routinely be had for under $300.

Would you mind linking to the Cisco Catalyst 2960L IOS firmware. This is new for me getting free Cisco Catalyst IOS firmware. I want to see it. I don't have a Cisco logon any more. But I have been out of the biz for a long time.

You may be better to use Cisco small business SG350-28p switch.

PS
I think the Cisco SG355-10P will give you a internal power supply for a small switch. Rack mount also.

Last edited:
You do have to have a Cisco account to get access to the firmware. Just re-register here as a direct end-user; it's completely free. Once you're registered, go here and bam, instant download of the latest image available (once you accept the ToS).

Not sure whether there is a thread mix-up or simply a suggestion for me to get the SG355-10P instead?

@coxhaus is very partial to Cisco small business gear, so he recommends SG swiches in a lot of cases. It's a great product for simpler SMB and high-end home setups, being a (if not the) top choice in those segments. The SG35_ series is layer-3 capable, has a very rich web GUI and an IOS-like CLI, which makes is great for speeding up certain network services (by offloading them from your router to the switch) and also as a learning tool.

That said, street price for the SG355-10P is typically 1 to 1.5x higher than the SG350-10P external PS model (I would venture due to lower volume). As such, there are better value options for just simple management (L2/L2+) and PoE, but if layer 3 intrigues you, it could be a great choice.

Regarding my power consumption comment: I added another device by accident. The total power consumption is actually slight down as compared to the Netgear with injectors.

That said, street price for the SG355-10P is typically 1 to 1.5x higher than the SG350-10P external PS model (I would venture due to lower volume). As such, there are better value options for just simple management (L2/L2+) and PoE, but if layer 3 intrigues you, it could be a great choice.

I only recommended the internal power supply because that is what he requested. I would buy the SG350-10P which is cheaper.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!