What's new

Opinions on TPLink Omada

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,

Yes, i do have 4 EAP deployed in my house governed by Omada Controller on a Rpi. They are all connected with an ethernet cable to a central switch where i've placed the controller. I'm not using the mesh features.

Roaming is seamless between all the AP's. With 4 antenna's, i had to tweak the power on each EAP and ensure a proper channel distribution between the EAP. It's clearly targeted for SMB's and you will not find advanced access control features to prevent some specific devices to connect during the night or the evening (parental control :))

Regards

Hi,

Yes, i do have 4 EAP deployed in my house governed by Omada Controller on a Rpi. They are all connected with an ethernet cable to a central switch where i've placed the controller. I'm not using the mesh features.

Roaming is seamless between all the AP's. With 4 antenna's, i had to tweak the power on each EAP and ensure a proper channel distribution between the EAP. It's clearly targeted for SMB's and you will not find advanced access control features to prevent some specific devices to connect during the night or the evening (parental control :))

Regards

Excellent. I am looking for stability and performance.
Unifi is more expensive, and I am sure I get more for what I pay, but I just want stable performing internet, nothing more, so this should do it. Thanks!

HI,

Just wondering what kind of parental controls is possible? Is there any scheduling? I see in the Omada Controller user guide that a schedule can be implemented to turn on off the EAP's or SSID, but I need it to schedule each device. Would my router see each device connected via wifi so that I can use my own router's parental controls?

Can I have different DNS servers for kids?

I assume the controller software is free? Do I need it running 24/7 if I frequently need to change the kid's schedule?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited:
No problems with stability for me. The Controller is free and the new GUI looks suspiciously like Unifi's!

One drawback is they don't support DFS channels. Also, their firmware is tightening down on being able to SSH in and run Linux network commnds to see what is going on in greater detail than the GUI.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!