What's new

Opinions to expand my coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bcm00re

Occasional Visitor
I am currently using a single Asus RT-1750 B1 (aka RT-66U B1) to cover a 3000 sq ft ranch house. It is a single story home, but does have a walkout basement that we plan to partly finish next year. My current setup does an okay job for our family of four if I turn off auto channel selection for 2.4GHz and select the right channel (to minimize interference from neighbors). We are in the process of putting in a pool so I want to make sure my coverage outside is good next year too. I currently have 300Mbps service from Charter.

I could pick up another Asus RT-1750 B1 for $70 to setup Asus' AiMesh (using a wired backhaul). Or I could purchase a Netgear Nighthawk Dual-Band WiFi 6 AX1500 Mesh System (MK6W-100NAS) for $100 that has 3 units? I would continue to let my Asus handle router duties to utilize its AiProtection and USB drive, so this Netgear would be used in AP mode (and also with a wired backhaul).

Thoughts on the pros/cons for each setup? I open to other suggestions too.

I guess another option might be to get a GT-AC2900 instead. I could do the AiMesh with it and my existing Asus. It is newer (and reportedly can be procured for about $100 on sale) so maybe it would be better? How would it stack up against the other two options that I laid out?

Are you using 2.4GHz mostly? I don't think your router can cover 3000sqft single story house on 5GHz, unless it's located right in the middle, high above the floor and the house is built from very RF transparent materials and has very few obstructions (furniture, appliances, etc) inside.

Last edited:
Are you using 2.4GHz mostly? I don't think your router can cover 3000sqft single story house on 5GHz, unless it's located right in the middle, high above the floor and the house is built from very RF transparent materials and has very few obstructions (furniture, appliances, etc) inside.
Thanks for the reply! You guessed right, distant users do have to resort to using 2.4GHz. The house was built ten years ago and has a pretty open floor plan. The router is located 7+ feet off the floor atop a large entertainment center in our great room (which has a 10ft ceiling). It's somewhat close to being centered side-to-side wise but is definitely skewed a bit towards the back of the home. I am trying to do my homework and plan ahead for the pool coming next year -- and for when the basement get finished (hopefully not too long after).

Let me list out our devices off the top of my head: 6 Rokus (but one is wired), 4 tp-links security cameras (but adding at least a couple more), 2 work PCs (both wired), 2 home PCs, one school PC, a HTPC (wired) with 2 HDhomeRun units (both wired), a XBOX one (wired), a bluray player (wired), a laser printer (wired), a weather station, 3 cell phones, and 4 tablets. We are a family of four so obviously not all items are in use at the same time. :) My router currently says there are 30 clients connected. My setup is using a couple tp-link gigabit switches (one TL-SG1008D and one TL-SG1005D).

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions.

Last edited:
I would keep RT-AC1750 B1 router as wired Router only (Wi-Fi disabled) until some time after it stops getting firmware updates or Internet line is upgraded. For Wi-Fi I would start with 2x Access Points placed close to both sides of the house. Unfortunately, at the price range you are looking at I can't really recommend anything.

What about moving my RT-AC1750 B1 to one side of my house (keeping its WiFi on) and getting another one for the other side of the house? Might that work well for an AiMesh setup? Moving the one I have wouldn't be a big deal because the cable modem is already located on that side of the house. I see now that the Netgear system I mentioned above is just 2x2 for both bands whereas my Asus is 3x3 for both (and thus should be superior).

Might that work well for an AiMesh setup?

It will work, but this router is based on 10-years old hardware. It won't have firmware support soon. It's a cheap, but temporary solution. I know nothing about this Netgear "mesh" system and can't comment. A newer 2x2 radio may have better range than 10-years old 3x3. The number of supported streams alone don't tell the full story. If you want to use better your 300Mbps ISP line, you'll have to think about sufficient 5GHz coverage. Otherwise you are stuck at about 90Mbps max on 2.4GHz. I hope you're not pushing for 40MHz wide channel on 2.4GHz in a residential area. This is not a good idea.

The FAQs stuff I read here talks about 3x3 being notably superior to 2x2, but perhaps new tech for the latter is better than old tech of the former. I wish there was a way to measure/quantify a router's range (to compare hardware), but it seems that reviews never do that. Worst case for me would probably be multiple HD steams at the same time, and from what I understand 2.4Ghz can handle that. So I think I'm really more about expanding coverage than maximizing speed -- unless I am missing something. As for your last question, I am using the default settings of Asus' latest firmware except I changed the channel setting away from 'auto'. I'll take a look at those settings when I get a chance later tonight. So what setup would you recommend if I expanded my budget?

Seems like you just need good Wi-Fi connection around your property. The availability of Ethernet wires is a big advantage already. Last time I was asked similar question from a friend of mine who has no intentions to tinker with anything Internet/Wi-Fi related my recommendation was TP-Link Deco M4 set. It was a 2-pack version for about CAD120 with 3-pack version available for CAD150. It is working surprisingly reliable in wireless backhaul mode providing up to 250Mbps to connected to satellite devices. Connected to the main unit devices are getting >500Mbps. It supports wired backhaul mode (meaning satellite connected devices will also get >500Mbps max speeds), the only available setting is band steering (single SSID for both bands) and is controlled by simple to use phone app. This setup is working for months already with no single hiccup and covering about 1200sqft bungalow house, the basement and big area of the back yard around 3000sqft extra. Main unit in the living room/kitchen on one side of the house and the satellite on the other side at the back yard. Deco has AP mode, if you prefer using your Asus router as wired Router for the extra features. And it looks good as well. You can get one from Amazon, try it and if it doesn't work for you - send it back. If it does work - you get good price/quality ratio.

I was going to suggest trying high-gain antennas but it looks like you can't replace them on that router. I have had very good results with them.

I checked my settings and the default value for the 2.4GHz is "20/40 MHz", but every time I look using the Wifi Analyzer app (on my Android phone) my 2.4GHz signal looks to be 20MHz.

For better Internet experience aim at 5GHz coverage for your high bandwidth devices and leave 2.4GHz for home automation and cameras.

So I purchased a RT-AX86S for $180 that I plan to try, but first I'm going to see if there are any killer holiday deals (like for the AX86U or AX88U). That said, I just realized the AX68U seems to have all the features I need and can be had for just $140 so I might switch to that one instead.

So I just realized the 68U is 3x3 for 5GHz whereas the 86S is 4x4. Does that mean the 86S might have better range?

Does anyone have any experience with using either of these as their main router and a RT-AC1750 B1 (aka - AC66U B1) as an AiMesh node with a wired backhaul?

AX68U is the only Asus router using BCM6710 radio for 5GHz band and had a history of connectivity issues. I don't know if Asus fixed the firmware for it, but the model is not popular and is often on sale price. Not popular here on SNB Forums either. Keep your AX86S.

According to several here, the firmware released a month ago has fixed the 5GHz radio issues some were experiencing with the 68U. That said if the 86S (with its 4x4) has the potential for better 5GHz range then the 68U (with its 3x3) then that would skew me towards it.

If you want to try your luck saving $40 - go ahead. You want the cheaper option, not the better. I'm done with this thread. Good luck.

I was simply trying to confirm that the 86S was in fact better than the 68U for my needs. I have an electrical engineering degree (but have just been writing software for the past 20 years) so I tend to want to quantify and fully understand all the pros and cons of my purchase decisions -- with cost being one of them. Sorry if that somehow offended you.

For wireless, the physical environment the signal is in matters more than the theoretical specs that are debated so often. Often the client device is the limiting factor in the physical environment. While specs are important, the specific device is less important than following good RF placement and power tuning for a well working system.
You cannot resolve the debate until testing the unit in the environment and deciding what is good enough.
Many of the folks on here have the practical experience in commercial and residential design and installations. They understand what generally just works well. Try to leverage that offered experience.

If you don't do (or even listen/agree) with the poster you think you're having a rational conversation with, you'll be thrown under the bus too by him. It's an ego thing (they need to be right, or they'll melt).

The RT-AX68U should offer greatly improved throughput and coverage of your home's stated size. Testing is what will determine if it works for you and your environment or not.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!