What's new

/opt folder on stock RT-AC86U Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

x1000

New Around Here
I just started investigating my new router and wanted to install Entware and other stuff. However, I faced with a problem that /opt folder is not a sym link to /tmp/opt how it is supposed to be but it is just a read-only folder. As a result almost, all installation scripts fail since they want creating some sub-folders inside /opt.
for example this one http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/installer/generic.sh

rwxr-xr-x 2 admin root 7856 Sep 11 15:52 bin
drwxr-xr-x 5 admin root 0 Sep 17 22:56 dev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 7 Sep 11 15:51 etc -> tmp/etc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 8 Sep 11 15:51 home -> tmp/home
drwxr-xr-x 6 admin root 0 Sep 17 23:28 jffs
drwxr-xr-x 4 admin root 4032 Sep 11 15:52 lib
lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 9 Sep 11 15:51 media -> tmp/media
lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 7 Sep 11 15:51 mnt -> tmp/mnt
drwxr-xr-x 3 admin root 800 Sep 11 15:52 opt
dr-xr-xr-x 119 admin root 0 Jan 1 1970 proc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 admin root 13 Sep 11 15:51 root -> tmp/home/root
drwxrwxrwx 17 admin root 0 Sep 18 00:02 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 10 admin root 816 Sep 11 15:51 usr
drwxr-xr-x 18 admin root 0 Sep 17 23:28 var
drwxr-xr-x 14 admin root 22192 Sep 11 15:51 www

If I try to create a symbolic link manually (or create some sub-folders in /opt) I receive the error:

Read-only file system

Is there any way to do that on RT-AC86U stock firmware or I have to use Merlin's one?

This.

Stock Asus firmware is not a supported platform for entware.
I would use merlin as all of this has already been worked out on it.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware

on merlin you just run the script that's already included

entware-setup.sh

Well.. actually I am bit confused since there is an instruction how to install Entware on stock Assus firmware and I do not see any problem with that except for the fact that "/opt" folder is read-only on my router. Honestly speaking, I am not yet ready to install the merlin firmware, so I was looking for some solution of the problem.

:confused: I'm confused as well. I'm sure I double-checked github and it wasn't listed as supported. Oh well, must have dreamt it.

I was assuming that you were talking about entware-ng as that has replaced entware. But you're trying to use the old entware installer which is part of the problem. The other is that the RT-AC86U is a newer platform with a later kernel, so using the installer for kernel 2.6 won't work.

Try using the installer for entware-ng:

https://github.com/Entware/Entware-ng/wiki/Install-on-Asus-stock-firmware

Last edited:
Entware cannot be installed on the stock Asus firmware for the RT-AC86U because Broadcom already makes use of the /opt folder (so, you can't create the necessary filesystem on top of it for Entware). I had to do extensive changes to it on my firmware to support it.

OK Now I've completely lost the plot. According to this page Entware-ng has merged with something called Entware-ng-3x (which I'd never heard of) to create a new project called Entware.

So I have no idea what's going on. Maybe try this installer? http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/installer/generic.sh
Thank you for the suggestion but the script will not work because it also creates sub-folders in /opt folder (which is read-only on AC86U with stock firmware):

for folder in bin etc lib/opkg tmp var/lock
do
if [ -d "/opt/$folder" ]
then
echo "Warning: Folder /opt/$folder exists!"
echo "Warning: If something goes wrong please clean /opt folder and try again."
else
mkdir -p /opt/$folder
fi
done

mkdir /tmp/opt
mount /dev/whatever /tmp/opt
mount -o bind /tmp/opt /opt

Works for me, may break things for you (I couldn't see anything actively running out of the read-only /opt path.

I don't recommend this, but it let me get Entware working to test things.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!