What's new

optimal pppoe options?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turgut Kalfaoglu

Regular Contributor
Hi. I noticed that my pppoe (for VDSL2) runs with these options:

Code:
noauth
refuse-eap
user 'xxxxxxxxxxxx'
password 'xxxxxxxxxxxx'
nomppe nomppc
plugin rp-pppoe.so nic-eth0
mru 1452
mtu 1452
persist
holdoff 10
maxfail 0
ipcp-accept-remote ipcp-accept-local noipdefault
ktune
default-asyncmap nopcomp noaccomp
novj nobsdcomp nodeflate
lcp-echo-interval 6
lcp-echo-failure 10
lcp-echo-adaptive
unit 0
linkname wan0
+ipv6

I was wondering if I would get better performance if I enable any of these compression options?

PS: I noticed that the novj nobsdcomp nodeflate line is hard-coded into Merlin's pppd.c source code..
Strange.. I wonder why they would disable compression.. For me, every bit of bandwidth helps.

Many thanks, -turgut

Last edited:
In general, this setting is controlled by the ISP (the default for PPPoE - 1492). If you do less, then the rest will be filled with the next frame, respectively, it will be divided into different parts and increase the load on the processor.

I was wondering if I would get better performance if I enable any of these compression options?

PS: I noticed that the novj nobsdcomp nodeflate line is hard-coded into Merlin's pppd.c source code..
Strange.. I wonder why they would disable compression.. For me, every bit of bandwidth helps.

Many thanks, -turgut
data compression/expansion takes processor cycles/time and impacts latency...both no-win conditions.
if you need to put more through the pipe, get a bigger pipe