What's new

Optimization for Fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redlead3

New Around Here
Modem: AT&T Pace 5268AC
Router: Asus AC68U
Merlin 380.68

I was getting about 100Mbps on the main living room device (MiniX Z83-4). Replaced the cable from the router to the computer and started getting 200Mbps.

Last night we connected one device directly to the modem 5Ghz WiFi connection and it got 900Mbps. If we connect to the AC68 5Ghz, we get about 90-100Mbps.

What should I be looking for to help speed this connection through the router?

Check the AC68U and make sure that hardware acceleration is turned on. That could be an issue.

Or are all of the ports on the AT&T modem gigabit?

Check the AC68U and make sure that hardware acceleration is turned on. That could be an issue.

Or are all of the ports on the AT&T modem gigabit?
I have got HW Acceleration turned on now. It took me a while how to figure out how to activate it. Afterwards, we got speeds of 250 Mbps. Not Earth shattering, but better than what we were getting. I think maybe the cable provided by AT&T might be bad. I am going to try swapping it out.

Any other settings on the AC68 that could be it?

Modem: AT&T Pace 5268AC
Router: Asus AC68U
Merlin 380.68

Last night we connected one device directly to the modem 5Ghz WiFi connection and it got 900Mbps. If we connect to the AC68 5Ghz, we get about 90-100Mbps.

I don't understand "modem 5Ghz WiFi connection". Is the AT&T unit a modem or a gateway?

The 68U is capable of 900+ Mbps with CTF NAT acceleration enabled via a wired connection. I would troubleshoot cabling first and then a factory reset on the router next. Is the ISP using PPPoE? I've saw some threads recently that mention an issue with high speed PPPoE connections although I don't know if they are router model or firmware version specific.

The 68u is more than capable of handling gigabit fiber, I have it myself. Of course you won't get close to that on wifi. I get around 350Mbps on wifi and ~960 Mbps on ethernet.

You definitely do need hardware acceleration to get over 300Mbps or so.

I get significantly more than 100mbps on 5ghz wireless. Something is screwy with your setup.

Do you have 40mhz bandwidth set on your 5g connection? How close were you to the router. 5ghz throughput falls off quickly, especially with walls.

What is your established link rate, from the device connected to the router?

I have no wireless device capable of receiving 900mbps, so I cannot test your scenario exactly.

Last edited:
I would suggest pumping the brakes a little on wireless and get the wired connection working correctly and then we can tackle wireless. I'm still wondering about this statement "Last night we connected one device directly to the modem 5Ghz WiFi connection and it got 900Mbps." "connected one device directly to the modem" leads me to believe it was a wired connection. Also, 900 Mbps would be awfully impressive for the 3 stream 68U with a max link speed of 1300 Mbps.

It is possible to get to 900Mbps via 5Ghz but u need to use flash based speed tester on speednet. I am using ac68u 1gbps fiber. On Html5, around 350Mbps

It is possible to get to 900Mbps via 5Ghz but u need to use flash based speed tester on speednet. I am using ac68u 1gbps fiber. On Html5, around 350Mbps

Can you get 900Mbps of real data, lets say torrents, through wireless as well? If so, super impressive, on both router and receiving device ends.

didn’t got a chance to test that on torrent, but on file download in local site with internet download manager 8 concurrent connection, I could reach around 60mb/s , 480mbps. So I technically I assume it can go higher.

Nice those are the speeds I am seeing ~500mbps but I think its limited by my receiving devices.

The speedtest.net net results are suspect. My 2x2 phone will hit 700 Mbps occasionally on the upload side using the speedtest.net Android app. 80% of theoretical seems high to me. The DSLReports html5 test averages in the upper 500's (66%) which seems more reasonable for an 866 Mbps link.

I ever called my isp technical support to do troubleshooting for internet speed issue. I did various speed test while on phone with them. They are able to see the upload and download speed from their side.

Using the flash base test, it is true there can see 800-900 speed test. And if I use html5, the speed test is lower and they see the same too.

But like FreshJR said, a lot of time our real speed is affected by how fast the receiving end can process.

I don't understand "modem 5Ghz WiFi connection". Is the AT&T unit a modem or a gateway?

The 68U is capable of 900+ Mbps with CTF NAT acceleration enabled via a wired connection. I would troubleshoot cabling first and then a factory reset on the router next. Is the ISP using PPPoE? I've saw some threads recently that mention an issue with high speed PPPoE connections although I don't know if they are router model or firmware version specific.

Direct connection to MODEM WiFi = Router was not in between device and the modem.

I'm not sure if AT&T uses PPPoE in my area. They were totally absent in the set up. They installed the fiber to the house, made sure lights came on the modem and then hightailed it. I will keep looking for a solution.

I did find that the cable to the main computer we were testing was a Cat5 cable and I've since replaced it with 5e. Another issue for the future is that my house is wired with that Cat5 and not 5e+. :-(