What's new

Optimized for Xbox Setting?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

illama

Occasional Visitor
What exactly does this do? I have found that if I don't have it enabled my 2.4GHz network constantly drops on all of my wireless devices requiring a reboot of the router. When it's turned on, I never have the issue.

AFAIK, the Xbox wifi chip has some issues (bugs) that make it problematic in certain environments so the xbox setting does something (what, i don't know) to make it more compatible with the xbox.

Don't quote me on that and if I'm mistaken, someone is welcome to correct me. But the above is what I recall reading on this many moons ago

AFAIK, the Xbox wifi chip has some issues (bugs) that make it problematic in certain environments so the xbox setting does something (what, i don't know) to make it more compatible with the xbox.

Technically, that option makes the router report it does not support LDPC error correction.

So if our Xbox One is connected to our 5.0GHz network, we should check "Optimized for Xbox?"

So if our Xbox One is connected to our 5.0GHz network, we should check "Optimized for Xbox?"

I believe this is only in relation to the 360.

Seems like nobody has a concrete answer on what this setting does or applies to.

Merlin has said what this setting does in this thread.

In a roundabout way it fixes a compatibility issue between the 360 S' wireless driver and the Asus firmware.

Merlin has said what this setting does in this thread.

In a roundabout way it fixes a compatibility issue between the 360 S' wireless driver and the Asus firmware.

So this is only for xbox 360 gaming devices, not anything else (ie. xbox one)?

I have no idea.

Finally, one I can answer :)

LDPC is an optional mode for the 802.11N and AC standards. In simple terms, is helps correct for high Signal To Noise environments, like when lots of 802.11 networks exist together or you have a microwave oven creating interference.

If the "Xbox Mode" is really setting to WiFi router to tell clients LDCP isn't supported by the base station and not to use it, then you're probably seeing more disconnects and slower performance because you have lots of issues with Signal to Noise...in other words, you live in a modern home where lots of WiFi signals are all over the place.

No idea why the Xbox adaptor would have issues with LDCP, or if this is specific to the original Xbox B/G adaptors or the newer N adaptors.

Unless you specifically need this checked, I would leave it set to Off; LDCP is really important for N and AC to work well.

If you want some background on this, here's a good paper on it: http://www.quantenna.com/pdf/OptimizingWirelessResources80211ac.pdf

LDPC is an optional mode for the 802.11N and AC standards. In simple terms, is helps correct for high Signal To Noise environments, like when lots of 802.11 networks exist together or you have a microwave oven creating interference.

A thought...

LDPC helps a bit - but consider that WiFi has a RTT of about 3400 uSeconds vs Fast Ethernet at around 200 uSeconds on the LAN side, and then add WAN round trip times... WAN side to most servers will be around 12,000 uSeconds there in the best of cases (google which is ha/hp) - do the math...

Go to the wire... for twitch gaming - latency matters more than bandwidth...

BTW - the XBone/PS4 are both Marvell, and they're probably one of the lower latency chipsets - unfortunately, not many AP's also are Marvell (Linksys WRT's are, but factory firmware leaves a lot to be desired feature wise, and 3rd parties have some issues with guess what - latency... on the wireless side)

I dont know what chipset the xbox360 uses but it has worse wireless performance than my 4 year old galaxy ace phone which is only wireless G spec. My so called wireless N xbox360 flatlines at a max 3mbit/sec speed, even for 2.4ghz thats hideous.

Also do not know why people are mentioning 5ghz as the 360 wireless is 2.4ghz only.

Which begs the question if this is for the 360 only, then why does the setting exist on 5ghz as well?

--edit--

So I unticked b/g protection, ticked optimize for xbox now it has shot up from 3mbit/sec to 33/mbit/sec, thats more like it.

Still do not know why the tick box exists on 5g tho which I left unticked.

Last edited:
I come from the distant future - 2019 - to revisit this old post to tell you that, despite the world being taken over by radioactive mutants, the Asus routers still have this very annoying and vaguely worded checkbox.

Just curious, is this an official Asus firmware setting or a Merlin setting (I have Merlin's firmware on my router atm)? I was kinda hoping it would have an affect on my streaming from my wireless laptop to my WIRED Xbox One but it's clear now (after reading up on it) that's not the case. If it's specific to the Xbox 360, it should say so, as the Xbox (the ORIGINAL Xbox) had a wifi adapter, too.