What's new

Optimizing/Speeding Up WiFi....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hexenhammer

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I have some questions about WiFi and how it works.

What I want to know if Routers use the same antenna for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands?

If the answer is positive, does it Help with speed and performance/signal distance if I disable the 2.4Ghz band, and keep the router just 5Ghz?

Im asking it because I just got a new RT-AX89X router but I have my old one DIR-882 that has good 2.4 signal and its 4x4:4x4 router, i get signal even outside apartment building in the parking lot, so why not use it?

So I wonder if its a good idea to set the DIR-882 as AP, connect it with 1G cable to my ASUS router and set it as exclusively 2.4Ghz AP and the router as Exclusively 5Ghz?
Is this a good idea?

Or maybe its better to create Trippe or Quad Band setup?

If I set the DI-882 as AP, keep both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and connect it with cable to my ASUS router, can I leave the channel bands on the AP and the Router on automatic and let them sort it out themselves or its better to change it manually and set them as far apart from each other as possible, AP using as low channels as possible and Router as high as possible?

Which is better?
to just create a split setup, AP DIR-882 as 2.4Ghz and RT-AX89X as 5Ghz exclusively.
or to create a Triple or Quad band setup?

Trippe Band setup: AP DIR-882 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz + router RT-AX89X only 5Ghz [I think we have only one active device that has no 5Ghz, and my old PS Vita has just 2.4ghz, so 2.4Ghz is less important for us]

Quad Band Setup: AP DIR-882, 2.4Ghz for WiFi N and lower and 5Ghz N+AC + router RT-AX89X: 2.4Ghz for just AX and 5Ghz for AC/AX

What do you think?

Last edited:
How many devices do you have in your network environment? How many are wireless? How many are used/connected concurrently, wirelessly?

Routers can use the same antennae for both bands, but shutting off one band won't make the other one go any faster (not on a well-designed unit at least).

The other questions you have depend too much on your local environment. Only testing will give you the answers you seek.

Use manual channel selection and discrete SSID's for best performance. Use the not recommended 'auto' settings for the best ease of use. Neither way is better, except for how it works for you and your expectations thereof.

With little to no devices needing the 2.4GHz band, I would recommend using separate SSID's and only connecting most equipment to the 5GHz band radio. That is if you have about 32 clients or less that need to connect to a single band/radio per AP and you want the fastest network performance possible.

HTH. :)

How many devices do you have in your network environment? How many are wireless? How many are used/connected concurrently, wirelessly?

Routers can use the same antennae for both bands, but shutting off one band won't make the other one go any faster (not on a well-designed unit at least).

The other questions you have depend too much on your local environment. Only testing will give you the answers you seek.

Use manual channel selection and discrete SSID's for best performance. Use the not recommended 'auto' settings for the best ease of use. Neither way is better, except for how it works for you and your expectations thereof.

With little to no devices needing the 2.4GHz band, I would recommend using separate SSID's and only connecting most equipment to the 5GHz band radio. That is if you have about 32 clients or less that need to connect to a single band/radio per AP and you want the fastest network performance possible.

HTH. :)

Hi,
I dont have that many devices, i do it more for fun and because i have all the stuff here so why not?
we have about 4 active wireless devices used every day and bunch of inactive used rarely.
One thing that important to me is to cast 4K/HDR movies to our TV's, both connected wireless because they only come with 100MB Ethernet
I always use separate SSDis, i like to manually connect less important devices to 2.4ghz and more important to 5ghz

What happens if 2 phones connect to 5Ghz radio, one is AC and another one is N? will both phones get N? or speed will be reduced for the AC phone?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!