What's new

Opting Out Of Cisco Connect Cloud

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guz

Found this on Slashdot today:
Cisco Pushing 'Cloud Connect' Router Firmware, Allows Web History Tracking

"Reports have started popping up that Cisco is pushing out and automatically (without permission) installing their new Cloud Connect firmware on consumer routers. The new firmware removes the user's ability to login and administer the router locally. You now must configure the router using Cisco's Cloud connect service. If that wasn't bad enough, the fine print for this new service allows Cisco to track your complete internet history. Currently, it appears the only way to disable the Cloud Connect service is to unplug your router from the internet."
WOW!!! Reading what others are going through it's just mind boggling that Cisco put this out. Granted it's only for the EA3500, EA4500, E4200v2, routers, but still...

Um..well I just bought one and its scary as hell. Now I am wishing I went for the Asus RT-N66U :(

Well, Cicso has issued an apology

We apologize to any of our customers who were inconvenienced. We take feedback very seriously. It is our mission to provide the highest quality offerings where customer satisfaction is always paramount. We hope that you’ll give Cisco Connect Cloud a try, though. I think you’ll find it’s a great way to simplify how you connect, control and interact with your connected devices, including personal entertainment and home appliances.

And officially provided instructions for downgrading: Rolling back the Cisco Connect Cloud firmware to the Classic EA Series router web interface

Although they haven't said if they will continue to provide newer firmware versions that don't require you to use the "Cisco Connect Cloud". So one might be stuck at that firmware version :( Cisco really dropped the ball on his one. It's a real shame, I really liked Cisco, but now I will think twice before recommending/buying their stuff.

So Cisco/Linksys response is, paraphrased: "We apologize if you're offended ... and here's a not well known way to undo it. But if you do, you're making a big mistake." They don't even mention the reason for the rejections by customers- that being exploitation of their customers web habits.

What crap. Makes Google look like a saint because, unlike using Google, the Cisco/Linksys router scheme is involuntary.

Cisco's culture is infamous [for those of us who must deal with their arrogance professionally] and now it's infiltrated what was the Linksys subsidiary.

So, if you don't like it either, avoid Cisco/Linksys products at home/work.

Last edited:
Sorry for a late response - my mind was pretty much blown when I saw this roll across...

Cisco basically pushed out an update to consumer grade devices that forced users into a managed relationship. Without them knowing, or agreeing to it.

Sounds like time to find another vendor... funny how things can snowball, I'm currently in an RFP for some carrier gear, and will be looking at the system BOM to see where we can switch out Cisco for other vendors.

Wow wee! Here we go someone tracking me.. This is crazy.. I've read everything here and tried to contact the router via Android and got a message saying there wasn't android app to load. No more http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/admin didn't work or /login.asp.. So when I had reset the router to get into the default I couldn't get it prior to resetting it. My new Windows 8 tablet I was able to get this error saying it about CISCO so that firmware was pushed.

I am not a fan of ASUS so I am not dropping for that one the WD N900 HD vs NG R6300.

I have the last year E4200V1 that over heats but that doesn't have this hogwash tracking nonsense. Google tracks Android tablet owners there is a neat trick if you add to your wireless router to kill that tracking or I can program my code so you don't get track.

I do need a Wireless Router that support the DLNA out of the box. EA4500V1 was fitting the bill but it has some glitches.

Last edited:
I'm puzzled

Opting Out Of Cisco Cloud Connect

I'm puzzled by all the negative reaction around this. Cisco was very clear about the features and product positioning of its EA series app-enabled routers when they announced the product.

I agree that they could have handled the auto-upgrade better. But isn't anyone interested in even looking at the new features that come along with Cisco Connect Cloud (CCC)?

That might be true what you say about CISCO but they shouldn't have added what they did without my permission. I've use the new CCUI already it's okay but seems more aimed to the person who doesn't know nothing about how a home network is managed. I can access my router using Cisco Express Connection on Android tablet or smartphone. But that's limited access. If you changed something and then can't get back into the default web admin client then you reset the router and when you do you get slammed into this new CCUI where they tie it to your email address. Seems like too much privacy is being taken away. They should have option to remove it. I don't like the ideal of using E4200V2 firmware on the EA4500V1. Oh just go back to the prior Firmware update for the EA4500V1.

Cisco Express only works when locally connected. Connect Cloud allows admin and monitoring of your network remotely, without the hassle of setting up dynamic DNS, VPN, etc.

As I pointed out in the article, your ISP's terms are much more intrusive than Cisco's. And they have more to benefit than Cisco from "sharing" your data with partners.

Cisco Express only works when locally connected. Connect Cloud allows admin and monitoring of your network remotely, without the hassle of setting up dynamic DNS, VPN, etc.

As I pointed out in the article, your ISP's terms are much more intrusive than Cisco's. And they have more to benefit than Cisco from "sharing" your data with partners.

http://transmission.xmission.com/2012/07/02/declaration-of-internet-freedom

Not sure what your ISP's TOS are Tim but the ISP for my FTTH install, XMission has recently signed onto the Declaration of Internet Freedom!:D

Privacy: Protect privacy and defend everyone’s ability to control how their data and devices are used.

At this time, neither Cisco or Linksys have signed off on this pledge!;)

I am not using that EA4500 after 7.7 plus it's acting up prior to even this upgrade to CCUI. Don't need that to deal with.. TL-ER5120 makes a better replacement more privacy for me. For WiFi I'll have to look into ESR600H with the resent firmware update should solve some issues. I have that model here but can't get it to work with my current ISP.

My ISP is CenturyLink and I posted some of its terms in the article.

From the Declaration:
This doesn't really say much. Without details, they are just nice words.

Yes, but the point is not to just roll over like a limp noodle either whenever these companies start implementing features that give no added benefit to the user and the ultimate purpose is to make profit using data mining since as you stated remote management can be obtained using older non-cloud branded firmware with a little bit of networking knowledge. Some people are like sheep and will follow the Cisco corporate flock over the cliff while others will simply choose not to!;)

Its not about new features

I am surprised that there isn't more uproar over this move.

I understand that Cisco billed these lines as "Coming soon, with more cloud!" from launch.
Basically the promise of MORE stuff later, for a purchase now.
They seem to have purposefully taken away from system capability now with only a continued promise of MORE in the future.

Here's what it looks to me like they did:
1) They reduced the functionality of the local admin interface, and took away admin capabilities from users.
2) To get back to those capabilities, you need to interface with Cisco Connect Cloud, now introducing an additional Single-Point-Of-Failure into the system, and adding to account complexity to manage the system.
3) They released clumsy boilerplate legalese that included prohibition from "offensive content" implying your angry e-mail/letter to the editor may now be subject to Cisco censure, at their discression.
4) They have no killer-app (that I can tell) for the Cisco Connect Cloud. Much hype about things that may come in the future, but nothing that you get Day-1.
5) And worst of all, these are production/code/customer service issues (which can be the mistake of one individual) they are strategic product direction issues. Which means a whole room full of people came to this same bad decision.

They have addressed #3 above with weak "we didn't really mean it, we will back down some from that." language updates.

#4 will, hopefully be addressed with time, and once that's done #1 & #2 could be considered that the end-user gets "more".
#5 could only appear to be addressed by publicly announcing a restructuring of that product group.

At least today, they lost my sale.

CCC does provide added value. Not everyone can implement remote access. And that is just a basic feature of CCC.

I've seen a lot of attempts to incorporate add-on features (mostly parental controls) in consumer routers. Most have been junk and eventually abandoned. Cisco's is the first to be open to developers and provide a platform that has a future.

There are many other cloud / hybrid cloud services that look at user data: PogoPlug, Dropbox, WD2go, many (most?) ISPs, every cell carrier and, of course, Google.

The potential for abuse is far greater with ISPs, Google and cell carriers than with Cisco.

CCC does provide added value. Not everyone can implement remote access. And that is just a basic feature of CCC.

I've seen a lot of attempts to incorporate add-on features (mostly parental controls) in consumer routers. Most have been junk and eventually abandoned. Cisco's is the first to be open to developers and provide a platform that has a future.

There are many other cloud / hybrid cloud services that look at user data: PogoPlug, Dropbox, WD2go, many (most?) ISPs, every cell carrier and, of course, Google.

The potential for abuse is far greater with ISPs, Google and cell carriers than with Cisco.

Just because your ISP, CenturyLink/Qwest or whatever they have rebranded themselves as lately is evil doesn't justify Cisco/Linksys actions in this latest fiasco.

Always thought that developer's opensource firmwares like Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT ect. have been offering much better features over stock firmware that have never been incorporated into Cisco routers even after so many years...not sure what it is about flavour of the month 'cloud' firmware that would change this!?:confused:

I think the whole uproar would have been minimal if they had simply...

- left the existing local admin system intact
- added a link (within the local admin interface) to enable CC for those who want to be able to remotely control/monitor their router (without disabling local admin interface)

I can definately see the nicety of CC, however surreptitiously displacing/disabling the local admin and forcing use of CC is a pretty horrible decision.

Had a good chance today to speak about this with our corporate rep - related the Linksys-Cisco cloud connect issue, and the customer outreach.

He agreed and would pass it up the chain - in any event, have already removed four load balancers from the RFP bill of materials, replacing them with F5 BigIP boxes, which I prefer in any event (we're a big F5 shop), and looking to replace several carrier grade managed switches as well. The RFP integrators are fine with it, as they can work with any vendor...

So as a result of this little faux-pas, I'm moving $200,000 worth of gear to other vendors. That will happen, it's up to Cisco to limit the damage from there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!