What's new

Option to Upload firmware missing for AiMesh node RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyingnobtia

New Around Here
Since sometime at the beginning of this year (I keep my routers firmware updated as soon as a new version comes out), the option to update my AiMesh Node RT-AX86U is missing. I used to be able to see RT-AX86U just below the entry in RT-AX88U and upload a new firmware accordingly.

For the latest 386.2_6, I had to disconnect my RT-AX86U to access its web config page and update the firmware.

I tried restoring both routers to factory defaults but that didn't help.

Has anybody experienced this and found a solution?

1625554996359.png

If your RT-AX88U is the main router, why is it in AP mode?

If the issue is as you've described, you have not reset the routers properly. Are you using saved backup config files to configure them after a reset? And, how specifically are you resetting them?

The issues you describe I've never heard about on these forums. I'm assuming the routers/network are not in a good/known state.

The following may help you get your router/network stable again.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Perhaps I shouldn't have called them "router". They sit behind pfSense, so they're more like "dumb nodes" that I mainly use for mesh.

The issues you describe I've never heard about on these forums. I'm assuming the routers/network are not in a good/known state.
I haven't had other problems with them, and it has only happened with the recent firmware upgrades this year. I've also searched this forum beforehand and couldn't find anyone else with this problem. Unlucky me :(

If the issue is as you've described, you have not reset the routers properly. Are you using saved backup config files to configure them after a reset? And, how specifically are you resetting them?
I've only restored it to factory default using the option in the "Administration" menu, and then reconfigure the routers from scratch (which isn't hard as I don't have much settings configured with them).

Thanks for the resetting link, I'll try that.

Last edited:
I tried resetting the routers according to the instructions but it didn't work for me.

I played with some router settings and eventually, I saw an error in my Chrome dev console, which didn't appear in Incognito mode where it works:

Code:
jquery.js:5 GET https://www.asus.comundefined/support/FAQ/1008000?callback=jQuery110202887780269325002_1625918135628&_=1625918135629 net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

BAM.....!

After some investigation, I thought it was my adblocking extensions or browser cache issue. But nope!

It turned out to be my Grammarly extension! I disabled it and I could see my AiMesh node again.

I've yet to figure out how but I want to document it here in case anyone else has the same problem. This is rather embarrassing as I probably should've tried Incognito mode earlier :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!