What's new

Options, options and options...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
Due to the Pandemic and general boredom, my wife and I have switched to 4k TV and a few other things that have been eating away at my current storage capacity. This is what I have:

Synology DS1819+
8x 10 TB Helium drives

5x 8TB WD Red drives in an old system that I do not use anymore and will reuse with whatever choice I end up doing. More drives too? Hmmm....

Anyhow, I could buy a DX517 expansion enclosure. That would take the 5x 8TB drives and give me 32TB more storage. Due to where I am now (Mexico), the cheapest way I could get the device is going to cost me $700+. At that price, I was considering other options.

I could buy a 2419+ but the cost to get it here would cost me about $2500 in all. That is way too much. I would have to hide the credit card bill for months to be able to get away with that one so it is out.

I could go with other NASs from other manufacturers such as Asustor and Qnap. If I got an Asustor, it would be the Lockerstore 10. If it is a QNAP, I would go with the TS-1635AX. Each of these will cost me about $1500 including shipping and import costs from BH Photo.

What route would you take if you were in my shoes? Budget that the wife will accept would be up to $1500. I need to maximize my storage for that price. Something to consider is that once this Pandemic is over and if I decided to buy another NAS is would either the QNAP or Asustor allow me to bring the BTFS drives from the DS1819+ over without losing data? I would take the DS1819+ back to my US home if I bought another NAS once travel is safe.

What are the pluses/minuses for these scenarios? Which would you do?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!