1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Opus codec implementation

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Massimo93, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Massimo93

Massimo93 Occasional Visitor

Hi, i wanted to suggest the implementation of the opus codec on the merlin firmware.
    Here i've found a patch to implement it in the minidlna server.

Meanwhile even if i'm not an expert, i'm trying to implement it following the flac implementation.
    Is there any other file other than release\src\router\Makefile i should check?

Thanks for your time.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

The normal procedure would be to ask the upstream developers of minidlna to implement the patch and then it would filter down to us.

3. Massimo93

The last release was 2 year ago, the last activity of the developer is 1 year ago and people complain about the lack of updated and patch implementation submitted 5 year ago. I really doubt we will see any update in this regard.

4. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

So, you want to implement an outdated unpatched codec ....... :rolleyes:

5. Massimo93

libopus was updated like 1 week ago. Opus it's a relatively new codec compared to old mp3 and vorbis and it has less latency and better quality/bitrate ratio than the other two.
    I was refering to minidlna (ReadyMedia)

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The minidlna code is a mine field. Every time either Asus or me touches it, some obscure smart TV somewhere breaks. So, I no longer mess with it, and keep it identical to upstream, sorry.

JGrana likes this.
  7. Massimo93

Well the patch it's easily applicable so not big deal who need it can build itself, i did post it just to let know of his existence.
    What about libopus? It's easily implementable?

8. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

It's not that simple. Future changes to minidlna code can break the patch, or make it hard to merge upstream changes. Not gonna happen, sorry. Especially not for some obscure codec which, quite frankly, didn't even know existed until now.

9. Massimo93

I was referring to this regarding applying the patch and for opus just wandering if it could be implemented even without the minidlna patch.

Well it is developed by Xiph.Org, the creator of vorbis and ogg, not really obscure, just not well distributed.

Anyway i will try implementing it myself (just for fun), until i will surrender to the complexity of the job.