What's new

Opus codec implementation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Massimo93

Occasional Visitor
Hi, i wanted to suggest the implementation of the opus codec on the merlin firmware.
Here i've found a patch to implement it in the minidlna server.

Meanwhile even if i'm not an expert, i'm trying to implement it following the flac implementation.
Is there any other file other than release\src\router\Makefile i should check?

Thanks for your time.

The normal procedure would be to ask the upstream developers of minidlna to implement the patch and then it would filter down to us.

The normal procedure would be to ask the upstream developers of minidlna to implement the patch and then it would filter down to us.
The last release was 2 year ago, the last activity of the developer is 1 year ago and people complain about the lack of updated and patch implementation submitted 5 year ago. I really doubt we will see any update in this regard.

So, you want to implement an outdated unpatched codec ....... :rolleyes:

So, you want to implement an outdated unpatched codec ....... :rolleyes:
libopus was updated like 1 week ago. Opus it's a relatively new codec compared to old mp3 and vorbis and it has less latency and better quality/bitrate ratio than the other two.
I was refering to minidlna (ReadyMedia)

The minidlna code is a mine field. Every time either Asus or me touches it, some obscure smart TV somewhere breaks. So, I no longer mess with it, and keep it identical to upstream, sorry.

The minidlna code is a mine field. Every time either Asus or me touches it, some obscure smart TV somewhere breaks. So, I no longer mess with it, and keep it identical to upstream, sorry.
Well the patch it's easily applicable so not big deal who need it can build itself, i did post it just to let know of his existence.
What about libopus? It's easily implementable?

Well the patch it's easily applicable so not big deal who need it can build itself

It's not that simple. Future changes to minidlna code can break the patch, or make it hard to merge upstream changes. Not gonna happen, sorry. Especially not for some obscure codec which, quite frankly, didn't even know existed until now.

It's not that simple. Future changes to minidlna code can break the patch, or make it hard to merge upstream changes.
I was referring to this regarding applying the patch and for opus just wandering if it could be implemented even without the minidlna patch.

Especially not for some obscure codec which, quite frankly, didn't even know existed until now.
Well it is developed by Xiph.Org, the creator of vorbis and ogg, not really obscure, just not well distributed.

Anyway i will try implementing it myself (just for fun), until i will surrender to the complexity of the job.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!