What's new

[Solved] Orbi increases jitter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djc6

Occasional Visitor
I recently replaced my Arris SB6190 modem with a Netgear CM600 due to the well publicized issues with jitter/latency on Intel's Puma 6 chipset that the SB6190 uses.

One of the tools used to help diagnose this issue is here: http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

Its essentially pinging a server on the internet but instead of using ICMP its using TCP. This is because some internet routers/etc block ICMP, or lower the priority of ICMP in favor of TCP/UDP. So a TCP test is more accurate.

Anyways, if I am cabled directly into my Netgear CM600 modem I experience almost no jitter. For example, everything is tightly clustered around 35ms in this test:

CM600 mac mini direct 3.png

Compare that to test when my mac mini is cabled into the Orbi:

Orbi mac mini ethernet 7.png

The response time distribution isn't so neatly packed around 35ms - many responses are 2x that!

Things I have tried:
  1. I downgraded router & both satellites to V1.4.0.18 from V1.4.0.34 - didn't help
  2. I made the mac mini the only client on the Orbi. I did this by removing power from both satellites and disabling both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios on the router in the Advanced Wireless settings. I also unplugged a switch with more wired devices from the router. At this point my mac mini was the ONLY client listed in Orbi's management inteface - didn't help jitter issues at all.
Anyone else seeing jitter problems with the Orbi? This is bad for gaming, VOIP, etc. - any latency sensitive applications. I did find this other thread where somoene mentioned periodic latency issues on their Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-latency-peaks-every-10s/m-p/1200477

Netgear CM600

how is this running ? is it bridged and the orbi doing the routing or is the netgear doing routing and the orbi in AP mode ?

as if you have both doing routing that may be your issue

how is this running ? is it bridged and the orbi doing the routing or is the netgear doing routing and the orbi in AP mode ?

as if you have both doing routing that may be your issue

The Netgear CM600 is a vanilla Cable Modem; it's not doing any routing.

Not sure I would trust that test - seems to be client side dependent...

dslreports is usually pretty good about things - this time I think they might be a bit wrong...

puma6-1.png
puma6-2.png

"don't include what gear you have in a forum .sig" I'm curious, why not?

AntonK

Think security - with recent concerns on a couple of device, it's not really anybody's benefit to advertise (or humbly boast) about what networking gear is inside the LAN, or what might be sitting on the WAN

I was seeing this Jitter concern with dslreports.com's tool as recently as Sunday, January 22nd.

But for some reason, since the morning of Monday, January 23rd everything it working fine. Same firmware on Orbi and on Modem, not sure what happened. Since it could be anything between Orbi and dslreport.com's servers, not sure I'll ever figure it out but I don't see how it could be Orbi at this point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!