What's new

Orbi stopped functioning, so not sure what to look for next ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DivineSerenity

New Around Here
I have a 2500 sqft house (and a large backyard). The way the house was set up is we keep our modem/router in my room, which is in one corner of the house - so already not the ideal location.

I'm trying to debate which router / mesh network combo I should go with next given my Orbi died. The Orbi performed well, but apart from general Orbi crap (like having to reboot every week or two because speeds dropped dramatically) and dead spots/poor coverage areas (with one satellite), I'm not sure what the best set up would be for me.

Because the house was built two decades ago, we don't have ethernet running everywhere. I don't want to mess with coaxifi either given our house isn't really wired for that either [we tried to move the modem/router outside my room when we switched to Cox, but the technician said he couldn't do it. Not sure how much truth was behind that, but that isn't an option]. I want to avoid ceiling mounting as well (I know it's the better way, but I want to avoid anything that requires drilling holes, etc.).

I'm not sure if I should go with either an AIMesh set up or two routers (with one being an AP) or a mesh network.

So, to be sure I'm understanding this correctly...

You don't like what you had but you don't really want to try anything different to really improve it either? :D

You already know what will 'work' for you. Call another technician and see if he can make your network 'sing' instead. (Preferably with a single router for your 'normal' sized home). :)

So, to be sure I'm understanding this correctly...

You don't like what you had but you don't really want to try anything different to really improve it either? :D

You already know what will 'work' for you. Call another technician and see if he can make your network 'sing' instead. (Preferably with a single router for your 'normal' sized home). :)
Nailed it exactly.
My non-tech savie folks don’t want to invest money in properly networking the house.

I would love to have a Ubiquiti lineup with ceiling mounted APs, the CloudKey, etc. but I know it wouldn’t fly.

I’m thinking going the router way mainly because I temporarily used an AC86U that gave me great coverage - even in areas where the Orbi + Satellite later fail . I sadly returned that to save money with the T-Mobile Cell Spot (rebranded AC86U, perhaps with lesser power), which did not perform as well (but no one uses the guest room except the extremely rare guest, so it didn’t matter).

(I also ran Merlin on that Cell Spot. Those were the lovely days).

I have a 2500 sqft house (and a large backyard). The way the house was set up is we keep our modem/router in my room, which is in one corner of the house - so already not the ideal location.

I'm trying to debate which router / mesh network combo I should go with next given my Orbi died. The Orbi performed well, but apart from general Orbi crap (like having to reboot every week or two because speeds dropped dramatically) and dead spots/poor coverage areas (with one satellite), I'm not sure what the best set up would be for me.

Because the house was built two decades ago, we don't have ethernet running everywhere. I don't want to mess with coaxifi either given our house isn't really wired for that either [we tried to move the modem/router outside my room when we switched to Cox, but the technician said he couldn't do it. Not sure how much truth was behind that, but that isn't an option]. I want to avoid ceiling mounting as well (I know it's the better way, but I want to avoid anything that requires drilling holes, etc.).

I'm not sure if I should go with either an AIMesh set up or two routers (with one being an AP) or a mesh network.

A 2xRT-AC86U wireless AiMesh might suit you.

If more than one AP, then having the AIO wireless router at one end of the house can be helpful... put the other node toward the other end and both will cover the house and outside areas. Ideally, place the modem/router near the primary media center to wire those clients direct.

OE