What's new

Orbi+Voxel external drive unmounted?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mith_y2k

Regular Contributor
Two strange things happened today (or maybe in the last couple of days). Yesterday my Mac complained my shared drive got disconnected, but I didn't bother too much since I had the Mac sleeping for a couple of days and I assumed it just got disconnected. Today our power went out, but fortunately the UPS kept the internet running. Concerned about the Orbi I ssh'ed in, checked the external drive and noticed that it was not mounted. I checked a few things and I can't fully get my head around on what has been going on. These are the breadcrumbs I found.

It looks like the drive should be mounted:
Code:
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,data=writeback)

Full mount command:
Code:
root@RBR50:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
overlayfs:/tmp/overlay on / type overlayfs (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/tmp/overlay)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p31 on /tmp/dal type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/mmcblk0p34 on /tmp/mnt/ntgr/https_cert type ext4 (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p27 on /tmp/device_tables type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

I checked /var/log/messages and dmesg and found nothing interesting.

ls shows nothing, which was the first thing that made me think the drive wasn't actually mounted:
Code:
root@RBR50:~# ls -l /mnt/sda1/
root@RBR50:~#

Now here is an interesting one, fdisk tells me the external drive is not sda as usual, but actually sdb:
Code:
root@RBR50:~# fdisk -l
[...]

Disk /dev/sdb: 4.55 TiB, 5000947302400 bytes, 9767475200 sectors
Disk model: My Passport 2627
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: F7791D37-B3F3-4BF7-BE41-1D6290952BC9

Device     Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1   2048 9767475166 9767473119  4.5T Linux filesystem

Trying to mount /dev/sda1 fails, as expected. I tried mounting sdb1 read-only and it has all my files. I unmounted, ran fsck and found a bunch of inodes that needed fixing. I fixed them and re-mounted read-write and it looks fine.

My Orbi has been up for 65 days and change and I am 100% sure the drive was mounted and working 2 or 3 days ago. I have proof of this because for example my smb.conf file has been copied from the overlay to the /etc/samba directory.

Lots of questions on my mind:
  • why is it sdb and not sda?
  • When did it get unmounted? I know for sure it was mounted and working 2 or 3 days ago
  • Why was it unmounted? It seems like it wasn't a clean unmount, where can I find some logs?

Related question: what's the best way to reboot the Orbi without causing a non-clean unmount? Should I always manually umount and THEN reboot?

Two strange things happened today (or maybe in the last couple of days). Yesterday my Mac complained my shared drive got disconnected, but I didn't bother too much since I had the Mac sleeping for a couple of days and I assumed it just got disconnected. Today our power went out, but fortunately the UPS kept the internet running. Concerned about the Orbi I ssh'ed in, checked the external drive and noticed that it was not mounted. I checked a few things and I can't fully get my head around on what has been going on. These are the breadcrumbs I found.

It looks like the drive should be mounted:
Code:

Full mount command:
Code:
root@RBR50:~# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
overlayfs:/tmp/overlay on / type overlayfs (rw,relatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/tmp/overlay)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p31 on /tmp/dal type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/mmcblk0p34 on /tmp/mnt/ntgr/https_cert type ext4 (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p27 on /tmp/device_tables type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

I checked /var/log/messages and dmesg and found nothing interesting.

ls shows nothing, which was the first thing that made me think the drive wasn't actually mounted:
Code:
root@RBR50:~# ls -l /mnt/sda1/
root@RBR50:~#

Now here is an interesting one, fdisk tells me the external drive is not sda as usual, but actually sdb:
Code:
root@RBR50:~# fdisk -l
[...]

Disk /dev/sdb: 4.55 TiB, 5000947302400 bytes, 9767475200 sectors
Disk model: My Passport 2627
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: F7791D37-B3F3-4BF7-BE41-1D6290952BC9

Device     Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1   2048 9767475166 9767473119  4.5T Linux filesystem

Trying to mount /dev/sda1 fails, as expected. I tried mounting sdb1 read-only and it has all my files. I unmounted, ran fsck and found a bunch of inodes that needed fixing. I fixed them and re-mounted read-write and it looks fine.

My Orbi has been up for 65 days and change and I am 100% sure the drive was mounted and working 2 or 3 days ago. I have proof of this because for example my smb.conf file has been copied from the overlay to the /etc/samba directory.

Lots of questions on my mind:
  • why is it sdb and not sda?
  • When did it get unmounted? I know for sure it was mounted and working 2 or 3 days ago
  • Why was it unmounted? It seems like it wasn't a clean unmount, where can I find some logs?

Related question: what's the best way to reboot the Orbi without causing a non-clean unmount? Should I always manually umount and THEN reboot?
Maybe by creating a wrapper for the reboot command that first unmount, then calls the original reboot?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!