What's new

OrbiOS MR 2.1 issues, including Ethernet Backhaul - NETGEAR Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netgear finally released an official upgrade for the RBK50 series that seems to fix many of the prior issues. Suggest you see the Netgear Orbi support site for your model to get the upgraded firmware if your Orbi doesn't upgrade itself!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Maybe pseudo official, if v2.1.3.4. This version is still under beta category. Even though it's on there support site for the 50 series models, this one is still considered beta.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1533584/highlight/true#M26234

Does work well for some. There maybe issues for users with two or more satellites and using external managed and non managed switches though. Were getting NG informed about it. One user here on SNB mentioned that beta v2.2 works better for this issue.

Good to hear. Ya, seems the v2.1.3.x helps to fix other prior FW issues. Mines working well on wired back haul as well.

Is anyone successfully using v2.1.4.10 for wired backhaul?

I purchased the RBK53 kit from CostCo yesterday. I immediately updated the firmware which proved to be a challenge. One of the satellites refused to report the firmware version back to the router, so it just sat with the "please wait a moment message". At this point, all three units were in the same room about 15ft. apart, and they were still having trouble communicating. After several restarts, I finally managed to get them updated (v2.1.4.10) at which point I started the process of placing them in my home and configuring. Let's just say that it took several hours and starting over multiple times to get to a place where all units are communicating and using wired haulback. I did this by following the steps outlined earlier in the thread, and being very patient.

I wanted to point out a couple of things that I've observed during this setup process and during the post-setup testing to see if anyone has suggestions:
1. The overall coverage area of each unit seems to be very small with little ability to transmit through walls. I have a Nighthawk R7500 single router that seems to provide better coverage and faster speeds than all three of the Orbi units.
2. Once configured for wired haulback, the satellites do not seem to be able to communicate firmware version back to the router. That screen simply hangs, which implies that firmware updates will require moving all of the satellites closer together and leveraging wireless haulback.
3. When a client is connecting through a satellite the process of joining the wifi network fails with an incorrect password message even when the password is correct. Moving to the room with the router allows the user to join the network with the same password.
4. The Orbi iOS app fails to find the Orbi system when launching through a satellite, but does work when in the room with the router.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping that a firmware update will fix most of this stuff. If not, I will be taking advantage of CostCo's return policy.

You might try this:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...olution-for-wired-backhaul/m-p/1559747#M29420

Is anyone successfully using v2.1.4.10 for wired backhaul?

I purchased the RBK53 kit from CostCo yesterday. I immediately updated the firmware which proved to be a challenge. One of the satellites refused to report the firmware version back to the router, so it just sat with the "please wait a moment message". At this point, all three units were in the same room about 15ft. apart, and they were still having trouble communicating. After several restarts, I finally managed to get them updated (v2.1.4.10) at which point I started the process of placing them in my home and configuring. Let's just say that it took several hours and starting over multiple times to get to a place where all units are communicating and using wired haulback. I did this by following the steps outlined earlier in the thread, and being very patient.

I wanted to point out a couple of things that I've observed during this setup process and during the post-setup testing to see if anyone has suggestions:
1. The overall coverage area of each unit seems to be very small with little ability to transmit through walls. I have a Nighthawk R7500 single router that seems to provide better coverage and faster speeds than all three of the Orbi units.
2. Once configured for wired haulback, the satellites do not seem to be able to communicate firmware version back to the router. That screen simply hangs, which implies that firmware updates will require moving all of the satellites closer together and leveraging wireless haulback.
3. When a client is connecting through a satellite the process of joining the wifi network fails with an incorrect password message even when the password is correct. Moving to the room with the router allows the user to join the network with the same password.
4. The Orbi iOS app fails to find the Orbi system when launching through a satellite, but does work when in the room with the router.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping that a firmware update will fix most of this stuff. If not, I will be taking advantage of CostCo's return policy.

Tried that at least 5 times, along with a few other methods that I found posted. I was able to get things to appear correctly in the GUI, but it would not function properly. I finally did a full factory reset on all three units and after that I was never able to connect to it again. Following another three hours of messing with it this morning, I returned it.

Mines working.

Good Luck.

Tried that at least 5 times, along with a few other methods that I found posted. I was able to get things to appear correctly in the GUI, but it would not function properly. I finally did a full factory reset on all three units and after that I was never able to connect to it again. Following another three hours of messing with it this morning, I returned it.

Once having the wired backhaul, is it possible to use the original 4 antennas backhaul as the fronthaul for better performance?

The satellites while in wired back haul, work as source APs only.
Managed, Smart or Green Ethernet LAN switches can cause problems with wired back haul connected satellites on Orbi systems. Please use non managed, non Smart and non Green Ethernet switches. Managed switches can be used however you need to disable IGMP protocols on the switch. This seems to cause problems with Orbi systems connected to Managed switches.

Last edited:
Good evening guys. I just purchased an RBK53 and I'm having fits getting it configured. I have a Dual WAN setup coming through my EdgeRouter Lite 3 that was connected to a Linksys EA8500. The ERL3 has always been the router handing out IP addresses and the Linksys had DHCP cutoff. I am able to disconnect the Orbi from the ERL3 and connect my laptop or anything else directly and able to surf. The Orbi is in router mode BUT with DHCP turned off it will not allow an internet connection...

All help appreciated

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Try setting up the RBR in AP mode if you have a primary router in front of the Orbi system:
https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and

Good evening guys. I just purchased an RBK53 and I'm having fits getting it configured. I have a Dual WAN setup coming through my EdgeRouter Lite 3 that was connected to a Linksys EA8500. The ERL3 has always been the router handing out IP addresses and the Linksys had DHCP cutoff. I am able to disconnect the Orbi from the ERL3 and connect my laptop or anything else directly and able to surf. The Orbi is in router mode BUT with DHCP turned off it will not allow an internet connection...

All help appreciated

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Well the big issue is that your in a double NAT condition having the primary router in front of the Orbi. This is not recommended. Typically one only needs 1 router after the modem.

Does the primary router have a DMZ? If so, then use the primary routers DMZ for the IP address it gives the RBR. Then you can use the Orbi in router mode and maintain the features and controls you want from it.

Thanks for your reply but using the Orbi just as an AP is really not an option since I would lose parental controls and besided the coverage, it's the reason I bought an Orbi instead of installing a UniFi system, now I'm regretting my decision.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!