What's new

Order of VPN client connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve2300

Occasional Visitor
I searched this forum among other websites but can't find a concrete answer.

Here is the situation: RT-AC86 running Merlin 384.7_2.

DHCP is Auto for all devices except SmartTV1, SmartTV2 and iPad1 are manual (MAC and IP Address Binding is ON for these 3 devices).

I want:
#All devices (except below) to go through VPN1. This includes any new devices joining the network.
#SmartTV1 and SmartTV2 go through WAN all the time.
#iPad1 should go through VPN2.

So my setup for VPN1 is:

Redirect Internet traffic: Policy Rules Strict
ALL Devices - Source IP : 192.168.1.0/24 Destination IP : 0.0.0.0 (or leave blank) Iface : VPN
SMART TV1 - Source IP : 192.168.1.xxx Destination IP : 0.0.0.0 (or leave blank) Iface : WAN
SMART TV1 - Source IP : 192.168.1.xxx Destination IP : 0.0.0.0 (or leave blank) Iface : WAN

&&&&&&

The setup for VPN2 is:
Redirect Internet traffic: Policy Rules Strict
iPad1 - Source IP : 192.168.1.xxx Destination IP : 0.0.0.0 (or leave blank) Iface : VPN

Based on the router status the two VPNs 1 and 2 are both connected. I used different provider and different ports so all good.

I have all devices going through VPN1 as intended, SmartTVs go through WAN so all good. My problem is iPad1 is still going through VPN1. I want it to go through VPN2. I tried making it go through WAN under the VPN1 setting but that just made it go through WAN and didn't apply the VPN2 rule.

How do I make iPad1 go through VPN2 ?

Do I give all devices manually assigned IPs and add them one by one to the list under VPN1 and remove 192.168.0.0/24? But then how do I make sure new devices also go through VPN ?

All replies and help is valued and appreciated.

VPN rules are evaluated in VPN order...so the route everybody rule in VPN1 takes precedence over the route IPad1 rule in VPN2. Swap the setups. Put your VPN2 setup in VPN1 and vice versa..

Last edited:
VPN rules are evaluated in VPN order...so the route everybody rule in VPN1 takes precedence over the route IPad1 rule in VPN2. Swap the setups. Put your VPN2 setup in VPN1 and vice versa..

Thank you!!

That is a logical solution but I didn't think of it. o_O I'm just starting my relationship with Merlin tweaks :D

All working now. Thanks again!