What's new

OTA Antenna, Tablo, MOCA Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ekewaka

New Around Here
We have an internet-only (XFinity) connection (no TV), and we have an antenna in our master bedroom that uses the cable run to the basement server room to feed the rest of the TVs in the house an OTA signal. The source cable feeds an Electroline EDA 2400 distribution amp. One of the outputs goes to a Tablo box that then feeds the home network (via ethernet and wireless, throughout the home). Unfortunately, there is no ethernet jack in the master bedroom and, though we currently get decent throughput from our Amplifi HD router that is in a nearby bedroom, I wanted to know if the following MOCA setup would work.

Basically, I would like the MOCA signal to feed (combine) back into the master bedroom's cable so that we can watch Roku channels (including Tablo). I am wondering how the distribution amplifier plays into this setup as well as splitting the antenna's cable, in the master bedroom, so that we could use the TV's cable input.

Referring to the attached diagram, my questions are:
1. Would I need a MOCA filter between Splitter C (the one that combines the MOCA network with the master bedroom cable) and the distribution amplifier so that the MOCA signal isn't sent through the amplifier and/or sent needlessly to the Tablo box?

2. Would I need a MOCA filter between Splitter A (splits the antenna to the master bedroom TV cable input and the send to the server room) and Splitter B (splits the incoming antenna signal to the basement send and the master bedroom MOCA adapter)?

I plan to get a pair of Motorola MM1000 MOCA adapters.

Thanks

Attachments

• Proposed MOCA Setup.png
    Proposed MOCA Setup.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,194
First off, put the OTA amp on the down lead from the antenna. Otherwise you are amplifying the noise floor as well as the signal which drops the signal to noise ratio - bad for tuners. Also, minimize the number of splitters by using just one with the right number of ports. Lower insertion signal loss that way.

Does the Xfinity cable signal coexist on any of the cable runs you propose to use for MOCA and TV signal or is it completely isolated ?

If you are implementing MOCA2 in isolation from the xfinity signal, you have the most options.
Basically, you will need to decide between a multi-drop or a star network layout. The latter uses the most moca modems but provides highest bandwidth for each node. All you need is a central gigabit unmanaged switch to connect them all together on the ethernet side. Multi drop will use one less modem typically, with sharing of total bandwidth.

Is your cable RG6 or RG-59 spec ?

Most devices will only use their specific RF bands and filter anything else out.

i have pairs of Actiontec 6200 Bonded moca 2 modems in a star layout that pass OTA TV signal across the same cable as MOCA ethernet without issue.

Thanks for the quick reply, degrub!

First off, put the OTA amp on the down lead from the antenna. Otherwise you are amplifying the noise floor as well as the signal which drops the signal to noise ratio - bad for tuners. Also, minimize the number of splitters by using just one with the right number of ports. Lower insertion signal loss that way.
Yes, that makes sense. I may just get a simple amplifier for that since I won't have any other cables to tap off of it.

Does the Xfinity cable signal coexist on any of the cable runs you propose to use for MOCA and TV signal or is it completely isolated ?
The Xfinity cable signal is completely isolated from the other cable runs.

Basically, you will need to decide between a multi-drop or a star network layout. The latter uses the most moca modems but provides highest bandwidth for each node. All you need is a central gigabit unmanaged switch to connect them all together on the ethernet side. Multi drop will use one less modem typically, with sharing of total bandwidth.
The server room switch is the central, gigabit switch (NetGear GS116). Everything (ethernet and cable) emanates from the utility room, so I've got a star network layout. Also, some of the other TVs have access to an ethernet connection and, at the moment, I'm interested only in feeding the master bedroom with a MOCA signal (though I will probably hang a small switch off of the bedroom MOCA adapter, to feed the Roku and a Sonos speaker).

Is your cable RG6 or RG-59 spec ?
The cables are RG6.

Thank you, again, for the information. That was most helpful!

You may want to use a channelmaster low noise amp with LTE filters and adjustable gain
https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplify_TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777hd.htm

rather than the typical amps you find at Home Depot and such.

And if the antenna is outdoors, you must install a lightning diversion block and earthing cable on the cable entering the house. The rules for the installation have tightened up with current NEC codes to reduce the chance of burning out electronics and maybe the house.

Last edited:
Thanks. At that price, I think I'll first try moving my Electroline upstairs and terminate the other ports. But, the Channel Master does look good. I'll keep it in mind.

Looking st the EDA, there is significant frq. overlap with moca channels and not much attenuation, so yes, i think you may need a block on the outlet that shares TV signal and MOCA bands if there is not a moca modem filtering out the moca signal with its tv out pass through port. Here is a good introduction to the moca bands
http://www.mocalliance.org/technology/Final_Best-Practices-for-Installation-of-MoCA_170516rev01.pdf

That being said, i am running moca 2 bonded and have not noticed interference as the modem is filtering the moca signal and preventing it from either going to my channelmaster amp or my tuners. I don't have a distribution amp though.

So, a block between the amplifier and splitter in the master bedroom?
Antenna -> amplifier -> MOCA block -> splitter (to TV cable port, to MOCA adapter, to server room feed)

My setup with the actiontec modem pair is
Ant->cm amp-> splitter (moca2 rated) -> “other device “ coax port on actiontec modem. The splitter 2nd port goes to a tv tuner.

The “network” coax port on the actiontec is connected to a rg6 cable going to the other side of the house.

On the other end of the rg6, another actiontec modem “network” coax port is connected to the rg6. The “other device” coax port is connected to a splitter that sends the ota tv/fm signal to my tv tuner and stereo.

No moca block used since i use the moca modem to do that. I am only sending vhf/uhf ota tv signal .

If the motorola modem filters the moca signal from going out the “other device” coax port, i think you can do the same. If it doesn’t, then i think you would need the block.
I think you can avoid the first splitter in your list if you use one of the ports of the amp instead to feed the tv directly, assuming the tv is near the antenna.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!