What's new

Outdoor boat 2.4G bridge to 5Ghz local AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Timothy Lyons

New Around Here
Hi!

I have a boat.

Marinas often have weak/poor wifi access. I would like to provide internet access through a local AP to all the devices on my boat. To improve range, the unit needs to be waterproof and mounted outside, up high with POE. The antennae needs to be omnidirectional since on an anchor the boat will move around.

Can anyone suggest an outdoor unit to easily bridge from the marina 2.4GHz AP (usual in marinas and typically longer range than 5GHz) to provide a local 5GHz wireless net in the boat? I imagine keeping a local constant SSID so my Fire TV, the kids tablets and my little Wyze cams can all continue seamlessly.

I have looked at (and bought) a TP-Link EAP-225 Outdoor (a beautiful piece of hardware that only supports a mesh) and an Engenius ENS1750 (which requires WDS for bridge mode and is enormous and expensive.)

In the past I configured a full marina with dedicated 5GHz Engenius units as bridges hard wired to local 2.4G APs. It worked well but needs two units connected together with ethernet. I also would prefer to avoid a repeater since that seems like being a bad neighbor by hogging the bandwidth.

Thanks for any ideas! or maybe I am not understanding the capabilities of the units mentioned?

Edit: It wasn't a Ubiquiti, it was a TP-link. I have not tried the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-US .

Last edited: