What's new

Skynet outlook.live.com times out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoNz0

Very Senior Member
With skynet on it times out outlook.live.com even after adding live.com to the whitelist, as soon as I restart skynet it loads while it restarts.
Is there anything else I need to do, this only started last night and I have since installed the update but still the same.

The windows 10 email client still works though.

FWIW, I had a 'bang your head' moment that lasted a while that was a result of a change I was testing. While not Skynet related, I set a few of my clients, through DHCP reservations and an alternate DNS Server - to 'AdGuard' DNS servers. It was to try and filter out some of the commercials in various streaming services.

Two issues - 1) I had just wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 (2H20) when I could not get any email to sync. It seemingly accepted my GSuite Creds but nothing would ever come down. 2) Outlook Client on my iPhone stopped working as well. I removed the app and when I went to re-add it, I would get a 'page not found' error. (rendered like a web page, inside the IOS Outlook client).

Ironically an already set-up Win10 Mail client continued to work.

A week went by and by dumb luck stumbled back into the DHCP reservations and had that lightbulb moment.

Removing the DNS override fixed adding my GSuite account to IOS Outlook immediately. The Win10 client would not work, even after removing and re-adding the account, so I had to force remove and re-ins install the Mail/Calendar app. That worked.

Not the same as your issues but the commonality here is the live/outlook service sometimes doesn't play well with privacy and security manipulation.

Yeah, I had this same problem last evening: the solution was as simple as whitelisting outlook.live.com in Skynet. For whatever reason it somehow wound up on one of the block lists that day.

Yeah, I had this same problem last evening: the solution was as simple as whitelisting outlook.live.com in Skynet. For whatever reason it somehow wound up on one of the block lists that day.
I added live.com but it didn't let me add outlook.live.com randomly.

These blocklist’s don’t block domains, they block IPs. The best way to whitelist the correct IP is to use the information from Skynet’s logging, assuming you have it enabled or enable it once you encounter an issue like this.

Most likely a CDN IP that Microsoft uses in your geographical area also was flagged for potentially malicious activity and ended up on a blocklist. There are many DNS aliases between outlook.live.com and an actual IP.

These blocklist’s don’t block domains, they block IPs. The best way to whitelist the correct IP is to use the information from Skynet’s logging, assuming you have it enabled or enable it once you encounter an issue like this.

Most likely a CDN IP that Microsoft uses in your geographical area also was flagged for potentially malicious activity and ended up on a blocklist. There are many DNS aliases between outlook.live.com and an actual IP.
While I do understand that fundamentally Skynet blocks IP addresses, I am confused as to why it does have the menu tools to allow adding domains: I presumed this would do the back-end lookup and always keep that domain whitelisted, regardless of what IP it is currently being mapped to. Am I incorrect?

While I do understand that fundamentally Skynet blocks IP addresses, I am confused as to why it does have the menu tools to allow adding domains: I presumed this would do the back-end lookup and always keep that domain whitelisted, regardless of what IP it is currently being mapped to. Am I incorrect?
It will lookup the current IP when it does the daily list update, but won’t do any real-time lookup if the domain has switched to a different IP during normal usage.