What's new

Overclocking RT-AC87U Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elbubi

Regular Contributor
Hello!

Thanks to this forum I've learnt to OC my AC87U through services-stop script "trick".

My question is: ¿Would it give me any bennefit considering my particular usage? ¿Or any downsides?

Usage Info:

* Temperature is not an issue as I have it standing on top of a notebook cooling pad with a 20cm fan (60C CPU at full load, before the cooling stand it has reached 90C with 38C room temp)
* My connection is DSL PPOE through a bridged modem (3m download, 0.5 download). I know, its embarassing how slow my connection is (it would go up to a blazing fast 10M in a few months =P)
* I use NO VPN or intend to use it in the near future.
* I have 8 devices connected almost permanently (1 wired, 5 at 2.4G, and 2 at 5G)
* USB 2.0 port has a 128GB flash drive connected, with Download Master installed and downloading torrents on a daily basis. Network Samba Shared to copy those downloaded contents to my pc or to USB 3.0 port, or to transfer contents via wi-fi from my phone to grab them later from my pc.
* USB 3.0 port has a 128GB flash drive connected, acting as a DNLA Media Server which I use on a daily basis. Network Samba Shared to copy shared contents from my PC or from USB 2.0 port.

I think that info summarizes my daily network activity.

Kindest regards and thanks in advance!

For Download Master and streaming via Samba the overclocking give you a small benefit - but do not expect much difference on your use case (OC from 1000 to 1200 is just 20% more CPU power). :rolleyes:

the overclocking give you a small benefit
For me that's a 100% "go for it!". Benefit, even if small, is still benefit (at least from my point of view)
If It's not shortening my unit's life expectancy, I shall proceed with it.

Thanks for your kind and usefull support!!!

Last edited:
For Download Master and streaming via Samba the overclocking give you a small benefit - but do not expect much difference on your use case (OC from 1000 to 1200 is just 20% more CPU power). :rolleyes:
I'm running at 1400 on my 87U ;-)

I'm running at 1400 my rt-ac3200 ;-) since already almost a year now..

Me too!

HqjtL31.jpg

2ILFGhH.jpg

Besides temps, 40% overclock without overvolt (or even with it) seems very uncommon. I'll stick with 1200 for a while, seams reasonable, after a few months of stability I might try to go beyond that mark.

Cheers!

Me too!

HqjtL31.jpg

2ILFGhH.jpg

Besides temps, 40% overclock without overvolt (or even with it) seems very uncommon. I'll stick with 1200 for a while, seams reasonable, after a few months of stability I might try to go beyond that mark.

Cheers!
Mine is just about the same but I don't have the speakers under my cooler mine is sitting on small cardboard boxes. Sweet setup man we think alike.

DD-WRT has overclocking bult-in, but it's rather crap as it's not very stable by itself, let alone with overclocking. And the fact you can't make it go stealthy without LED's is a huge NO NO. Would be nice if we could OC easily via a menu and not by fiddling with scripts...

Would be nice if we could OC easily via a menu and not by fiddling with scripts...
It's a one-time "fiddling" and then it work's like a charm - at least for me (see my footer) and the fiddling is anyway needed to run all the other stuff... :rolleyes:

Would be nice if we could OC easily via a menu and not by fiddling with scripts...
Look at it from Asus point of view....you want them to support running the router outside of the design parameters and incur the associated warranty and support costs when it doesn't work?

Yeah, but this isn't ASUS's official firmware. So, that's irrelevant.

My code is based on theirs. CPU clock is overridden in the closed code.

My code is based on theirs. CPU clock is overridden in the closed code.

I was speaking about the legal issues in terms of potentially damaged hardware because of overclocking, not what the process itself is based on or if it's legal from your perspective as a dev.

Hello!

Thanks to this forum I've learnt to OC my AC87U through services-stop script "trick".

My question is: ¿Would it give me any bennefit considering my particular usage? ¿Or any downsides?

Kindest regards and thanks in advance!

It makes sense, if your CPU ist 100% in using, if it is not, what i think, there are no Benefits.

I Use it, because of vpn and its encryption Power

Just a small update on my OC story:

Against all my expectations, I've been running rock solid @1400 for a whole week now (no restarts, no hang ups, nothing). Tried to make it hang by doing some heavy tasks simultaneously (hashing torrents, samba file copy, dnla streaming, etc.) but it seems to handle all of them just fine.

I'm sticking with these values for the moment, keep you updated if anything changes.

As an interesting note (at least for my very limited knowledge), I tried first a small clock increment towards 1300Mhz. While gui showed 1300, bogoMips sitted at 2800 as oc was 1400 instead of 1300. I then changed everything to 1400 and both gui and bogo shows corrects values.

Regards!