1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Overcoming Dual Wan Failover Limitation - Cold Standby

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by ourcontact, Sep 29, 2018.

1. ourcontact

ourcontact Occasional Visitor

I have asymmetrical WAN high speed with data cap, low speed unlimited.

I was using OpenWRT and was happy with config but needed to update WiFi radio performance. I thought the ASUS looked like it would do everything I wanted and more but find myself unable to do what I want.

The primary blocker is that I really want to keep traffic analysis, this was one of the primary reasons I switched to ASUS as I had struggled getting something that worked like I wanted on OpenWRT, so far the ASUS reports give me enough to work with and I am satisfied with this side of the setup.

Given I want to keep Traffic analysis and AiProtection I am apparently stuck with Failover mode for Dual Wan.
    This is ok except the second WAN is "Cold Standby" and the link is not active or route-able when on the primary link.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can route to a second LAN/WAN network, I am ok with loosing the automatic Failover mode by setting up a LAN port as another network that the ASUS doesn't use for Internet access. I could then simply add a default route to the second gateway for some devices.

If I was using OpenWRT I think I would try this by configuring the switch ports on separate VLANs but the ASUS doesn't seem to have GUI access to switch configuration, hopefully I can find something via CLI.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!