What's new

Overcoming Dual Wan Failover Limitation - Cold Standby

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ourcontact

Occasional Visitor
I have asymmetrical WAN high speed with data cap, low speed unlimited.

I was using OpenWRT and was happy with config but needed to update WiFi radio performance. I thought the ASUS looked like it would do everything I wanted and more but find myself unable to do what I want.

The primary blocker is that I really want to keep traffic analysis, this was one of the primary reasons I switched to ASUS as I had struggled getting something that worked like I wanted on OpenWRT, so far the ASUS reports give me enough to work with and I am satisfied with this side of the setup.

Given I want to keep Traffic analysis and AiProtection I am apparently stuck with Failover mode for Dual Wan.
This is ok except the second WAN is "Cold Standby" and the link is not active or route-able when on the primary link.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can route to a second LAN/WAN network, I am ok with loosing the automatic Failover mode by setting up a LAN port as another network that the ASUS doesn't use for Internet access. I could then simply add a default route to the second gateway for some devices.

If I was using OpenWRT I think I would try this by configuring the switch ports on separate VLANs but the ASUS doesn't seem to have GUI access to switch configuration, hopefully I can find something via CLI.

you can do this only in Load-Balancing mode, because only then are both WAN interfaces active

in Failover mode, one WAN interface is active, another WAN is in stand-by (not connected), so AFAIK there is no way to do this in Fail-over mode

you can do this only in Load-Balancing mode, because only then are both WAN interfaces active

in Failover mode, one WAN interface is active, another WAN is in stand-by (not connected), so AFAIK there is no way to do this in Fail-over mode

Thanks, understand that. Was looking for a workaround using VLANs and CLI configuration. I don't need automatic failover, would have liked load balance so I could set up transport rules like I did in OpenWRT but don't want to lose monitoring.

I may just setup a second router on the network using OpenWRT as a bypass around the Asus as I understand the OpenWRT config better than ASUS.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!