What's new

overhaul the my home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kazi murtaza

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

new here just joined, tho have been reading threads here a long time, never needed to make a thread, so bear me with if I posting in the wrong section.

I have TP-Link Wireless N Router WR840N 100Mbps as my main router, Enabled IGMP Proxy and IGMP Version v3.0, works on PPPoE, with username and password and secondary connection on dynamic IP.

my WAN Connection is FiberOptics to Ethernet converter;
MT-Link Ethernet Media Convertor 100Mbps

I need a router with Gigabit Lan Ports, which have the same feature as the router of tp-link(PPPoE), things I need achieving by that router are;
  1. DHCP Server
  2. Routing
  3. WAN PPPoE connection.
I do not need it to broadcast wifi, for that I have; on each floor.
  1. TP-Link TL-WDR4300(in Bridge Mode)
  2. AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)(in Bridge Mode)
  3. ZTE ZXHN F680 4GE+2POTS+Wi-Fi @2.4GHz&5GHz+2USB Bridge/Router+Voice(in Bridge Mode)
switch used to connect all is
  1. D-LINK 8 Port gigabit unmanaged Switch DGS-1008A
I have Nas4Free Server which I intend to connect the above Switch Directly, it has Plex Server.
and my network consists of
  1. Desktop PC's
  2. Laptop's
  3. Chromecast's
  4. Smart-TV's
  5. Mobile Phone's
  6. IP Camera's
  7. Servers (NAS, and virtual machines)

• Content being transferred in and out is usually locally saved HD and sometimes Netflix or from other sources.
  • Online games.
  • WAN Connection is 40Mb to 50Mb Approx - Fiber.

Wiring used is UTP CAT 6 25AMG;

My Covering Area is 150sq/ft with concrete walls and 3 floors

the first step is to upgrade router and second step is to bring all wifi broadcasters to AC1900.

Please advise how to proceed.

Regards,
Murtaza.

should I buy this;
QOTOM Mini PC Q190G4N with 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, preload pfSense Firewall Router, Quad-core Mini PC Bay Trail j1900 2.42 GHz

or would it be a overkill ?

If all you need is Gigabit LAN ports, add a Gigabit switch.

What is your Wi-Fi traffic? How many simultaneous clients are active and what are they doing?

Seeing you have NAS4Free (excellent product in my opinion! ) I will assume setting up a EdgeRouter X will be a reasonable task. Some easy to follow youtube clips can be found.

As for moving to AC WiFi UAP-AC-PRO or UAP-AC-LITE are great choices. With the concrete nothing will penetrate so you will need multiple but you already know that.

I will assume setting up a EdgeRouter X will be a reasonable task. Some easy to follow youtube clips can be found.

ER-X is a good choice but it's only best for handling symmetric WAN up to 500/500 Mbps.

Seeing you have NAS4Free (excellent product in my opinion! ) I will assume setting up a EdgeRouter X will be a reasonable task. Some easy to follow youtube clips can be found.

As for moving to AC WiFi UAP-AC-PRO or UAP-AC-LITE are great choices. With the concrete nothing will penetrate so you will need multiple but you already know that.

Kudos great suggestion I am reading up on the router, and it's just flawless, though AP's are bit expensive, by expensive I mean everything costs double here, after shipping and customs, so the router is costing me 120$.

ER-X is a good choice but it's only best for handling symmetric WAN up to 500/500 Mbps.

I don't see the downside in 500mbps up down, 50mb is rare here, I doubt I would ever need 500mb WAN connection and 500mb in parallel right ?, At max, I will use 50mb or 100mb for that it sound reasonable for 52$.

I am thinking of buying one EdgeRouter X 2x AC WiFi UAP-AC-PRO, 2x UAP-AC-LITE, and a gigabit switch/10gigabit switch,

You can read about my exploration into ER-X here: http://kazoo.ga/tag/erx/. It's a great piece of kit especially at its low price.

UBNT AP's are good but I would say many others can do RF great as well. For example, check out ceiling-mount TP-link's here: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/biz-list-4908.html

Indeed, this is the best option I asked couple of retailers the best price I got is 60$ which is fine, some even quoted me 95$, luckily I found the correct one, now about access point, my wire connections are at ground level, so which AP would you really recommend since the main usage is casting Movies(from Plex Server, Quality: HD+), Desktop(Gaming on another main screen), and others in my house mostly stream from Netflix

total people using the internet is 6 minimum.

and switch connecting router and AP's is
  1. D-LINK 8 Port gigabit unmanaged Switch DGS-1008A
will this switch create a bottleneck?

what about jumbo frames?

D-LINK 8 Port gigabit unmanaged Switch DGS-1008A
will this switch create a bottleneck?

I would get a gigabit switch with POE support that can power AP's over Ethernet cables. Save separate power bricks for each AP..

All Gigabit switches are non blocking, which means they support full wire speed between ports.
Switches will handle jumbo frames if you use them. But Jumbo frames really aren't needed with today's gigabit Ethernet NICs.

ER-X comes with a built-in switch where all ports are connected to. The switch can forward packets at 1000/1000 for a simple LAN across any two of the ports at anytime. Once you introduce multiple subnets. The game is same as WAN, 500/500 max across any two of the subnets.

Edgerouter X SFP comes with one SFP port. There are two implications here. First the SFP is only capable of 1Gbit/s aggregate throughput. In other words, maximum 500Mbit/s full-duplex. Other combinations 800Mbit/s TX and 200Mbit/s RX is fine as well as 400Mbit/s TX and 600Mbit/s RX just examples. The split between TX and RX is dynamically adjusted based on traffic flow but aggregate sum will always be 1Gbit/s or less.
The other implication is this 1Gbit/s aggregate limit also applies to the CPU and the five GbE ports. For example, if you have a symmetric gigabit WAN, you might get close to 1Gbit/s download or upload but not both simultaneously. Same applies to routing between two networks on LAN. The limit is 1Gbit/s aggregate to and from the CPU which routing needs to go (regardless HWNAT enabled or not).

this does not imply on LAN connections ? right

this does not imply on LAN connections ? right

It does with the conditions I said in #12.

With a simple LAN (one subnet e.g. 192.168.100.x only for whole family), it doesn't. More than one subnet (192.168.100.x for yourself and 192.168.200.x for kids), it will be affected. Throughput between you and kids' devices will be limited to 500/500.

Hello everyone, I would like to thank you guys, I am in pure bliss, it has been a year almost I have been with EdgeRouter X and I could not be happier, it was all I expected and more, my isp had there own router for me to go through to get to internet, this router had the PPPoE functionality and took over that responsibility and reduced an extra hop, whereas my other routers could not do.

so not much has changed besides that and yea I have configured ExpressVpn on this router sending everything through VPN totally amazing. plan on installing pixelserv soon on EdgeRouterX, would love some links, I have also bought QNAP Nas Device 2-Bay, and tiny footprint Dell OptiPlex 160 for SickBeard and Coachpotato, and removed huge bulking NAS system re-purposed it as a windows desktop and gave to family,

I want to try something different with this Router of mine, this Optiplex 160 Machine, I do not want it in the VPN, explicitly remove it, and everyone* else remains in the VPN, below is the link to the configuration of VPN I did on my Router, feel free to correct me if you guys find something wrong with it, one mistake I have been told is 192.168.1.0/32 is actually 192.168.1.0/24

http://kazimurtaza.com/blog/blog/20...x-configure-openvpn-smartdns-from-expressvpn/