What's new

Solved OVPN and WG Client setup on Asus Merlin as a second router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sunild53

New Around Here
VPN_Network_Setup.jpg

I am testing the above scenarios for OVPN and WireGuard.

I have a dd-wrt router sitting behind my ISP gateway/modem. I have a static IP for the dd-wrt router on the gateway/modem subnet and have ports 1140 and 51820 forwarded. I have the OVPN server and WG tunnel setup on this router.

I have two routers, an ASUS RT-AX86S with Merlin and a GL-MT3000 that I am trying to setup as OVPN/WG clients to the OVPN and WG servers I have setup on the dd-wrt router.

I have the OVPN/WG client configuration files installed on the GL-MT3000 router and it connects to both OVPN and WG servers. When I check from ipleak.net site, I get the IP address and DNS from the server. I am testing this by providing internet through tethering from an iPhone.

I also have the OVPN/WG client configuration files installed on the ASUS RT-AX86S router and it connects to both OVPN and WG servers. I am testing this by providing internet through tethering from an Android phone. When I test the OVPN client connection, I get the IP address of the server but DNS from the Android cell phone. When I test the WG client connection, I get the IP address and the DNS from the Android cell phone. I am connected to the server in both OVPN and WG tests and see TX/RX data.

I researched for several days now the Merlin Wiki page and several forums and tried various tips such as DNS director and VPN director policies. When I use DNS director, I can get the DNS leak problem fixed. I don't see any difference in results when I add WG tunnel or OVPN tunnel in the VPN director.

Am I missing something? I feel like I am very close to getting it working as I would like it to, still not able to resolve the issues for several days. I am fairly new to networking. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

My ideal set up is that I would like the ASUS Merlin router sitting behind an ISP gateway/modem and be able to connect to either the OVPN or WG servers. Also, I plan to use my GL-MT3000 for VPN when I travel.

EDIT: Just needed to edit the policy in VPN director. Needed to create a tunnel for all internet traffic using WG client. Problem Solved!!!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!