What's new

Packet Loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frawau

New Around Here
Hi,

First post here, I hope I am not breaking any rule.

I have a RT-AC5300 running Asus-Merlin 384.7_2. It is mostly working great, and better than my old WRT-AC1900acv2 with dd-wrt used to. Still, from time to time I hit this weird problem. Some of my machines looses 30-50% of the ping packets (hence networking is barely usable).

Here is what I have found so far:
Only the computers "directly" wired to the router seem affected. One is connected with an actual wire, the other
via a TP-Link AC1200 powerline adapter. Wireless clients do not seem affected. Wired client to a switch do not
seem affected (The switch is itself wired to the router)

Pinging any host beyond the router will incur 30-50% losses. Ping to the router itself has no problem.

When the problem occurs, CPU activity is higher than usual. Use of "top" shows that it is mostly due to
software interrupts (sirq)

I can't seem to find any trigger to the problem. It seems random.

Waiting long enough will solve the problem

Rebooting the router will usually solve the problem, but not always

Some details about my config:
NAT acceleration is Off
UPnP disabled
Use custom DDNS script (he.net) that includes setting up IPv6 tunnel
Lot's of custom firewall rules via scripts

Looking at this forum, it appears that a similar problem was occurring some time back, but it should have been solved.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any idea how to solve this

Cheers,
François

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!