What's new

Packets being dropped with my RT-AC5300 router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thoraine

New Around Here
Hi guys, I'm getting ~1% packet loss (Request timed out/ General failure) when pinging my router at 192.168.1.1 on my wired LAN connection, and it's affecting my gaming/streaming.

I've already tried doing a cold boot of the router as well as my fibre connection's ONT, as well as upgrading to the latest stable Merlin build 384.17 and doing a factory reset, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm not sure what other steps I can try before resorting to replacing my router. I've used this router for about 2-3 years now, and it's become spotty in the last month or so.

Hope someone can guide me on this. Thank you!

What other features and options are you using on the router? Is HW acceleration enabled?

What scripts are you running?

How are you determining the packet loss?

What other features and options are you using on the router? Is HW acceleration enabled?

What scripts are you running?

How are you determining the packet loss?
No scripts that I know of. I'm verifying it through ping -t on cmd,. Every time my game has a lag spike, there would be a general failure or timeout for my pings to my router.

What about the router features such as AiProtection, QoS, or 'family' DNS settings? Any of those (or similar) used?

Is HW acceleration enabled?

What about the router features such as AiProtection, QoS, or 'family' DNS settings? Any of those (or similar) used?

Is HW acceleration enabled?
All functions you've mentioned are at their defaults. I just checked and AiProtection is off, QoS is off, custom DNSes are off and there are no DNS ad-blockers on my network/router.

Not sure where I can find hardware acceleration, but it should be at its default as well.

The only settings I've configured so far are the WiFi network names/password, DHCP range (192.168.1.101-192.168.1.254), static IP assignments, DNS servers (1.1.1.1 + 8.8.8.8), and the router's domain name.

I feel like I should also mention I have another router (N66) acting in repeater mode using a wireless (up?)link between the two routers to extend my WiFi range.

Last edited:
Can you give us a 'mask' for the domain name you used? Try changing the DNS servers to 1.0.0.1 and 1.1.1.1.

Not sure what you mean by mask, I just set the RT-AC5300's Domain Name in the DHCP Server settings to my family name (all alphabetical characters) for curiosity. I can remove it if needed.
I've changed the DNS servers to your recommendation.

Edit: I've removed the domain name, and even after your recommendations, I'm still getting some packet losses when pinging to 192.168.1.1. Even without the losses, there are occasional blips causing my pings to take 5-13ms which is strange since I'm pinging from my desktop which is directly connected to the router, so I'm expecting all my pings to be <1ms.

I wouldn't be concerned about the blips if the drops weren't affecting my internet usage, but it seems to indicate a deeper problem?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!