What's new

Parental Control - 1 device only - Best method?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnD5000

Very Senior Member
I noticed my 8 year old son was using his tablet and he ventured into some "adult" areas by mistake. I want to block just his tablet from getting to any of this data. I don't want to put any blocks on anything else on the network. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.
Looking around the GUI, I see two potential possibilities:
1) AI Protection/ Parental Controls
It looks like I can turn this on and then select a client (his tablet's MAC address) and select Adult

2) Under LAN / DNSFilter
It looks like I can Enable DNS-based filtering
Global Filter Mode - Select No Filtering
Client List - Select his Tablets MAC and select one of the Adult or Family options from CleanBrowsing, OpenDNS or Yandex

Will one of these do what I am requesting? If so, which is better? Or, is there a better way?
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes. I have tested both variants. Parental Control & DNSFilter with Cleanbrowsing Family Filter. Not sure how effective is Parental Control, but Cleanbrowsing is excellent. See what it does for Phishing protection too:
https://medium.com/@nykolas.z/phishing-protection-comparing-dns-security-filters-9d5a09849b91

PS. Cleanbrowsing may be a bit slow. No problem for kid's device. Parental is faster if you need speed.
I hear from word of mouth a clip around the ear is a good protective dns :D

I noticed my 8 year old son was using his tablet and he ventured into some "adult" areas by mistake. I want to block just his tablet from getting to any of this data. I don't want to put any blocks on anything else on the network. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.
Looking around the GUI, I see two potential possibilities:
1) AI Protection/ Parental Controls
It looks like I can turn this on and then select a client (his tablet's MAC address) and select Adult

2) Under LAN / DNSFilter
It looks like I can Enable DNS-based filtering
Global Filter Mode - Select No Filtering
Client List - Select his Tablets MAC and select one of the Adult or Family options from CleanBrowsing, OpenDNS or Yandex

Will one of these do what I am requesting? If so, which is better? Or, is there a better way?
Thanks
nextdns, opendns - more configurable for categories you want device or child not to see....a mop n' bucket does wonders for said children to learn internet responsibility :D

also wireless on/off scheduling per device so child goes to bed, I have a 4 year old so I'm arming up :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KW.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!