What's new

Parental control - limiting no of h per day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adooni

A lot of people ask me why Asus do not have parental control that allow to set MAC device to access internet for example for 2-3h per day. We have option only to set timing range like access to internet between 18.00-20.00. Personally I would prefer to limit no of h per day then setup some exactly timing when child can access internet. Even for safety reason for example if we set internet working from 18.00 child can be outside and will run/ bike what ever to get to home at time could have accident etc. When it will be set for 2h per day doesn't matter if child will back to home 18.00 or 18.30.

For people with teenage it sometimes main reason not to buy ASUS router as same internet operators devices are supporting it.

would be possible to add such option to RMerlin or to amtm?

I understand your frustration. But the problem from the OEM's perspective is this requires managing *sessions*. IOW, the router has to uniquely identify a user and track them over time. Not that it couldn't be done, but that involves a LOT more work to develop and support. It's the equivalent of setting up a captive portal, which *some* firmware does support (but even then it may only be for simple authentication and/or expiration). But when dealing w/ only a fixed time period, it's much simpler. No sessioning required. You simply set a start time and end time w/ some firewall rule and you're done.

It sort of makes sense (again, from the OEM's perspective) because they're looking to keep things as simple and cost effective as possible. And not everyone wants or needs such capabilities. The payoff for *them* is therefore more questionable, and so most just do the minimum necessary and leave it at that.

Last edited:
Blocking MAC or ip addresses does not solve this issue (not really). Since Mac randomization exist as a “privacy” feature by default in many devices for wifi; the MAC address will change usually each time the device reboots. This would then make the device fall outside of the list of time blocked devices.

Unless you go about creating a static ip for the device (which is based on a MAC address) and keeping MAC address randomization off on the devices. Which can easily be turned on breaking the static ip and MAC address set.

Not the best option but as a proxy approach I wonder if a script to track based on time the device is attached to the WiFi would be simpler.

The device users would need to be disciplined turning WiFi off when they're not using their devices though.

There are still challenges with mac address privacy features but if you did this with the devices only having access to guest WiFi you could probably have a white list only, probably host name based so you can ignore the mac changes, it might be doable.

A quick Google suggests a captive portal where the teenagers can earn time for chores wouldn't be as easy as I thought when the kids get that old!

A lot of people ask me why Asus do not have parental control that allow to set MAC device to access internet for example for 2-3h per day. We have option only to set timing range like access to internet between 18.00-20.00. Personally I would prefer to limit no of h per day then setup some exactly timing when child can access internet. Even for safety reason for example if we set internet working from 18.00 child can be outside and will run/ bike what ever to get to home at time could have accident etc. When it will be set for 2h per day doesn't matter if child will back to home 18.00 or 18.30.

For people with teenage it sometimes main reason not to buy ASUS router as same internet operators devices are supporting it.

This sort of thing is better accomplished through apps installed on phones/tablets/PCs than through a router. Or by just taking the phone away if they're using it too much.

Besides blocking it in the router is just going to drive up cellular data usage and increase the bill.

Or by just taking the phone away if they're using it too much.

Besides blocking it in the router is just going to drive up cellular data usage and increase the bill.
What he said :) ... personally I tend to be focus less on "... what technology can I use the stop or limit the little burgers using internet..." and more on " ... how can I engage them in conversation or how can I encourage them to manage their own time and still do OK at school ...".

Eventually, if you limit access, they will use cellular .... or use the neighbours Wifi ... or, as they get older, just leave the house and go find Wifi elsewhere. This is my own experience and thoughts, with two who just left home, YMMV and this is not parenting advice :) .

I was after the same, the Synology works really well for me. They have 1hr each (non-cellular based devices) and if they want more they can ask for it, and we can provide them with more in slots eg 15m/30m/45m/1h etc.. - we are not bound by what time they go on and also Synology has a nice app that is easy for the parents to use both on IOS and Android. i control all the device on profiles and filter web categories including adult/ads etc..

I would love to get an Asus router but this has prevented me in getting one, as I want more 2x10gbe ports now as i want to upgrade my fibre when it is available later this year to 3Gbps service.

I have tried other methods such as Fing box, Circle and apps to control on their device which were subscription based but felt they slowed down the device etc..

Also, you can't just talk to early teens and think they will listen, they always try it :)

forgot to mention i also have unifi setup at home and i can block individual devices from there If I want to but it just more convenient with Synology and I don't need to remember to do it and also more complicated for the wife.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!