What's new

Parental Control on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

picasso

Occasional Visitor
Greetings,

I have an Asus RT-N66U and switched to Asuswrt-Merlin as the native FW version from Asus did not support Parental Control (although stated on the box).
I have now installed 3.0.0.4.374.35_4.

In order for my kids to power off their devices, I configured Parental Control such that for specific devices the WIFI connection will be denied after 22:00 on weekdays.
However I just realized that this only affects new connections. When my kids have an active connection (e.g. Facetime), this connection will not be disrupted at 22:00.

It there a way to fix this other than a) reboot the router at 22:00 or b) yell at my kids ?

Thanks for any hints !

Last edited:
You can turn the WiFi radios off for everyone at your designated time.

My personal experience with this feature is it does work and when the radio switches off everyone's wireless connection is dropped. I turn my radios off at night for security and to save wear and rear on my router.

You might try experimenting with the guest network setup and see if you can get a SSID just for the kids that has time limits. I have never tried this so don't know what the limitations are or how well it works.

FYI parental controls using IPs or MAC addresses are of only limited use as a kid with administrative privileges can easily and quickly change either their MAC or IP therefore bypassing the controls.

You can turn the WiFi radios off for everyone at your designated time.

I know, but this does not work on an individual basis. So it's everybody or nobody.

You might try experimenting with the guest network setup and see if you can get a SSID just for the kids that has time limits. I have never tried this so don't know what the limitations are or how well it works.
Good idea !

FYI parental controls using IPs or MAC addresses are of only limited use as a kid with administrative privileges can easily and quickly change either their MAC or IP therefore bypassing the controls.
Fortunately they are not that far with their computer knowledge !

However I just realized that this only affects new connections. When my kids have an active connection (e.g. Facetime), this connection will not be disrupted at 22:00.

It there a way to fix this other than a) reboot the router at 22:00 or b) yell at my kids ?

Thanks for any hints !

This is a known limitation of the current Parental Control, and I have been unable to understand why it was the case, since all the iptables rules indicate that it should drop even established connections. The only theory I have at this point is that if you have HW acceleration enabled, it might be allowing those established connections to bypass the firewall rules meant to drop traffic from existing connections. Try forcing HW acceleration off on the LAN -> Switch Control page and see if it helps.

Router Dead

3 weeks ago my 6 months old router suddenly died.
I contacted the Asus support in order to repair or exchange it during warranty, but they were not really helpfull. They refused to receive the router from me, I had to send it via the shop I bought it. The shop said that this would make no sense but generate unnecessary shipping cost: Me to the shop, the shop to Asus repair.
Eventually the shop refunded me 100% and I bought a Linksys ... with a very nice feature: router control via an App on my smart phone everywhere in the world.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!