What's new

Parental Control through Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spizone

New Around Here
Hi all

1st time posting SNB forums...Recently bought the AC88u and loving it so far, but theres one thing im having a problem with.

I have an Access Point (TPLINK9980) that feeds a few wifi devices in another building connected with and ethernet cable from my router.
When i apply parental controls to the AP, does not work, i then applied to individual devices connected to AP, still no go, lastly i tried my phone (S7edge) which is connected to my 5Ghz wifi on the AC88u, and still did not work...
I then did a bit research online and read that i had to disable NAT acceleration, but when i do, i cant get internet, re-enable NAT and internets back.......

Any suggestions and help please.......(Im not an IT guru, try keep simple :))

spiz

I then did a bit research online and read that i had to disable NAT acceleration, but when i do, i cant get internet, re-enable NAT and internets back.......
How are use disabling hardware acceleration? NAT is not the same as hardware (NAT) acceleration. If you are changing the setting on WAN > Internet Connection > Enable NAT then this is wrong and will cause the effect you are seeing.

Can you confirm the model of your access point. As far as I can see the 9980 is a DSL modem/wireless router, not an access point.

Can you confirm the model of your access point. As far as I can see the 9980 is a DSL modem/wireless router, not an access point.

Yes that was the setting i was changing, but obviously was wrong, do you know where on the router settings i can change NAT Acc.
Ive converted the router to an AP - (disabled DCHP and assigned an static IP). You right its actually an TP8980 flashed with firmware to 9980. It has 2 modes ADSL and Router mode, the latter im using now.......

Yes that was the setting i was changing, but obviously was wrong, do you know where on the router settings i can change NAT Acc.
Try looking under LAN > Switch Control > NAT acceleration

Ive converted the router to an AP - (disabled DCHP and assigned an static IP). You right its actually an TP8980 flashed with firmware to 9980. It has 2 modes ADSL and Router mode, the latter im using now.......
Sorry, I don't know anything about TP-Link stuff.

Are you connecting one of the TP-Link's LAN ports to a LAN port on the Asus?

What firmware are you using on the Asus, stock or a third-party like Merlin?

Are the devices showing up correctly in the drop-down list when you setup the parental controls?

Are you connecting one of the TP-Link's LAN ports to a LAN port on the Asus
correct

What firmware are you using on the Asus, stock or a third-party like Merlin?
the latest i think - not merlins but asus - 3.0.0.4.380.7627

Are the devices showing up correctly in the drop-down list when you setup the parental controls?
yes, with their mac addresses

Im at work now, but will check the settings in LAN tonight when home - thx

So i did a few tests after disabling NAT Acc, nothing was blocked through the TP-Link AP or the devices connected to it, however it does work when applying to devices connected to the Asus through wifi, but only some - streaming (YouTube etc was getting blocked, but adult sites was still getting through)

Are you enabling Parental Controls on the TP-Link or on the Asus?
Asus - AIProtection - Parental Control.

The TP-Link Parental Control looks way to complicated to me, but not stressing to much, just thought it would be a nice feature if worked....
Thx - spiZ

When i apply parental controls to the AP, does not work, i then applied to individual devices connected to AP, still no go, lastly i tried my phone (S7edge) which is connected to my 5Ghz wifi on the AC88u, and still did not work...

Parental controls, and other policies for the matter - doesn't work for an AP, needs to be handled at the gateway directly...