What's new

Parental Controls doesn't show web and apps filtering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Czerdrill

Occasional Visitor
Recently bought the new zenwifi mini 3 pack but in the Parental controls area all i see is scheduling, and not web and apps filtering. Does anyone know where that would be? Or is that not included anymore?

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Under Parental Controls there is a slider that’s grayed out for web and apps filtering. Flip it left and it opens.

Under Parental Controls there is a slider that’s grayed out for web and apps filtering. Flip it left and it opens.
Hi thank but There is no slider. I saw the screenshots online of the slider but i don't have it. Here's what i see

0f1167e67eaf3963f1f0b1adad8a7b11.jpg

Hi thank but There is no slider. I saw the screenshots online of the slider but i don't have it. Here's what i see

0f1167e67eaf3963f1f0b1adad8a7b11.jpg

Welcome to the forum, couldn’t tell you why it’s not there. But hang on I’m sure someone has an answer and has seen it before.

Wanted to update this thread. I reached out to ASUS customer support and first they told me this model is an "old" model so it won't be getting AI protection. I explained to them that I do have AI protection and it's not a new model it just came out last week. After doing some research they sent me a form to fill out for their engineers to look at and possibly add the web and app filtering in a firmware update. I will update when i hear back.

Adding this for others: the current ZenWifi Mini (XD4) firmware STILL does not offer web & app filters in parental controls.

So apparently the current marketing statement "URL filter and scheduling allow you to protect your family from unhealthy Internet usage behavior." only applies to the Firewall's URL Filter option to block access to website names for all connected devices, not just the kids' devices.

The latest ZenWifi Mini (XD4) firmware does not offer Web & App filtering in the web interface, but the Asus Router phone app has a Family button that allows assigning devices to at least broad categories (None = no extra DNS blocking, Security = "Block malicious content", Family = that + "adult content", Ad Block, and Ad Block + Family). The blockages seem to be primarily DNS based - I have not checked to see if it also uses TLS SNI inspection to prevent the obvious DNS filtering workarounds. Once the app has created one or more profiles, the relevant devices are seen in the web interface's Parental Controls area, but without any information about the content blocks that have been applied. There does not seem to be any way in the app to modify the four blocking categories (Security, Family, Ad Block, Ad Block + Family).

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!