What's new

Parental controls using Skynet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bubbles

New Around Here
Is skynet configurable to block access to sites such as youtube from particular IP addresses on the local network? i.e, can the blacklist include rules for which client it blocks outbound connections to?

I looked at AIProtection but was scared off by all the disclaimers and it didn't look very flexible. Or is there another amtm application more suited to this (or do I need to figure out some iptables rules and do it manually?)

Diversion.

Thanks, would that mean using "Alternate Blocking List" (to blocks particular sites from particular clients, or can that be done with special entries in the standard blacklist?

Ok I tried AIProtection first but it doesn't work for https addresses, only http (and doesn't let you specify addresses, just uses some generic list presumably).

I couldn't find anything in the manual for Diversion or the faq that showed how to block an IP or URL for a particular client IP.

Does anyone have an example they can share of a line to put into the blacklist for Diversion (or Skynet?) that blocks a particular URL or IP from a particular client in the LAN?

You may get a better response if you install Diversion, familiarize yourself with it at least a little, and ask in the appropriate thread instead.

Is skynet configurable to block access to sites such as youtube from particular IP addresses on the local network?

How often your external IP change? What about OpenDNS + DNSFilter?

opendns.jpg

How often your external IP change? What about OpenDNS + DNSFilter?

View attachment 25601
It's more or less static (not seen it change since service started last October) This may be a good solution, will give it a try, thanks!

(I might also have a go at figuring out firewall rules for specific addresses, as I expect it can't be too difficult once I understand the syntax, and I'll learn something too. Cheers!)