What's new

Parental controls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EE_Aaron

New Around Here
At some point the parental controls-Web and app filters have stopped working. I can’t even toggle on that service. Not sure if it’s a firmware issue or something else going on. I’m running Merlin 386.9 on a RT-AC86U. Any ideas why this service is failing to enable?

Welcome to the forums @EE_Aaron.

What firmware was running before you upgraded to 386.9_0 final? Were the parental controls working well there?

Have you tried rebooting the router from within the GUI, waiting until it settles after it has rebooted, then testing again?

What other features, options, and scripts do you have running/enabled on your router? Do you have any USB devices plugged into the router? Are you using a USB drive for amtm and/or other scripts?

When was the last time you fully reset the router, after flashing the firmware you wanted to use on it, without using a saved backup config file (and without plugging in any USB drive that was used for amtm + scripts)?

How much free memory is showing available on the router? How much free NVRAM space? JFFS space? All of these may be clues as to why this isn't working for you today.

Welcome to the forums @EE_Aaron.

What firmware was running before you upgraded to 386.9_0 final? Were the parental controls working well there?

Have you tried rebooting the router from within the GUI, waiting until it settles after it has rebooted, then testing again?

What other features, options, and scripts do you have running/enabled on your router? Do you have any USB devices plugged into the router? Are you using a USB drive for amtm and/or other scripts?

When was the last time you fully reset the router, after flashing the firmware you wanted to use on it, without using a saved backup config file (and without plugging in any USB drive that was used for amtm + scripts)?

How much free memory is showing available on the router? How much free NVRAM space? JFFS space? All of these may be clues as to why this isn't working for you today.
Thank you for your reply. You ask me when was the last time I reset without restoring configuration, it’s been a long time. So I did a reset and the parental controls works. They stop working if I restore using the last saved configuration. So I guess the problem is some incompatible setting that’s been carried over. However, it occurs to me that I don’t need the web filter from Trend Micro as the DNS filters can essentially achieve the same functionality.

You can more finely tune your DNS with OpenDNS customization via their webUI.

You can more finely tune your DNS with OpenDNS customization via their webUI.
That is true. However, there is the issue with ISP dynamic IP address. You need update your IP address to OpenDNS to keep the DNS filters working. Unless there’s something I’m not understanding.

I forgot about that because mine almost never changes, In the past I used a DDNS service like DNS-O-Matic which is also owned by OpenDNS/Cisco.

Thank you for your reply. You ask me when was the last time I reset without restoring configuration, it’s been a long time. So I did a reset and the parental controls works. They stop working if I restore using the last saved configuration. So I guess the problem is some incompatible setting that’s been carried over. However, it occurs to me that I don’t need the web filter from Trend Micro as the DNS filters can essentially achieve the same functionality.

IME, it is not an incompatible setting that causes issues. It is effectively a form of corruption of the settings when newer firmware versions simply change what previous variables meant, or, those same (extinct) variables have been redefined and/or expanded in the new firmware.

By restoring that saved config file, you effectively negated the full reset you performed.

Flash the firmware you want. Fully reset the router to factory defaults. Perform a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

At this point, you can create another backup config file to quickly get you back to this point in the future (if needed).

And now you proceed slowly and methodically to customize your network as you like. Keep good notes. Be sure you're rebooting (and allowing the router to fully settle down after the reboot) before continuing with your testing/customizations, and be sure that all aspects of the network are working before making more changes too.

The above is needed when trying to see why the network breaks down. If a full reset and a full configuration bring you joy again to your network, the in-between steps are not needed (but I would still be documenting the changes you're making to make future troubleshooting far, far easier).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!